Learn to Ride your Bike, USC style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USC chapter.

At four years old, Santa brought you a shiny red tricycle. At six years old, he brought you a princess bike with handlebars adorned with sparkly pink and purple tassels.  Years later at nineteen years old, Santa brought you a beach cruiser with a straw basket. Thanks to Santa, this sequence of gifts will successfully prepare you to safely navigate USC’s busiest street, Trousdale. There is no exaggeration in saying, if one does not know how to use a bike, they just might not get that USC diploma.

Whether you’ve just acquired your bike, or are a returning rider, ask yourself, “Did I manage to make it to all my classes the first week, without putting myself or a fellow Trojan at risk?” Shockingly, you may even realize you actually did a bit of walking over the holidays and may have forgotten what it is like to have all your body weight rely on the pedaling of two wheels. No need to be ashamed, every USC college student should refresh with these ten pointers.

1. Ditch the black booties

There’s no denying every girl returns from the holidays with the intention of making the perfect first impression in all her classes dressed head to toe in her newest apparel. While you want everyone to see your new black suede, Steve Madden booties with the ¼ inch heel, that you scored 50% off at Macy’s Holiday Sale, remember boots were made for walking. The last thing you want is the heel to get stuck in the pedal, making your legs go out of control, then causing a loss of friction, and boom!  You’ve crashed into the bushes, or worse, a classmate.

2. Save your Starucks gift card

After sleeping in until 11AM all break, that regrettable 8AM is definitely a wake up call. You will already be running late to class, so turn down that extra boost of caffeine in your Starbucks tall nonfat mocha. You only have two hands, which are meant to hold only your handlebars. Stick the Starbucks in your cup holder or ditch it all together!  Nobody wants to be that obnoxious student that makes the door squeak as they walk into lecture ten minutes late, especially with a stained blouse and red burn on their face.

3. Imagine it’s actually cold in LA

You chose to live in Los Angeles because January weather means 70 degrees, and thus you can wear cute mini skirts and maxi dresses all year round, duh. But in reality, in order for the wheels to go round, your legs can’t be bonded together in a teeny tiny encasement of fabric. But that doesn’t mean go for length either. Too much fabric has the potential to get wound up in your wheels. Dodge giving the whole student body a show and stick to pants when riding a bike!

4. Weight management

It’s all about the balance when it comes to riding the bike. To prevent yourself from tipping to one side and to avoid a sore shoulder, eliminate the cute shoulder tote. To protect your face from ending up on concrete, do not put your backpack with books for five classes in your small basket, just wear it instead!

5. Don’t let it rain on your parade

They say Los Angeles people can’t handle a rain shower… true statement. Be prepared and always carry a napkin to pat down your bicycle seat. It’s better to not look like you wet your pants.

6. Don’t lose sight of the road

When you catch a glimpse of the cute boy you have had on your mind all break walking down the opposite side of Trousdale, it’s likely you find your eyes wandering in his direction. Keep your eyes toward your destination and try to think of another way to grab his attention, because crashing into the lamppost is not preferable. Don’t fall for him…literally.

7. No texting and riding

We can’t text and drive, yet we think it’s okay to be culprits of texting and riding. The text expressing your stress toward your messed up schedule this semester will get to your friend eventually. Don’t take a tumble and crack your phone over one little text.

8.  Be aggressive

Riding your bike on campus is like driving the 405, be aggressive. Push and squeeze your way through to the edge of the crosswalk, or else there is no way you will may it across in that twenty-second countdown. Watch out for skateboarders and show them that they do not own the road. Maybe purchase a cute little bell or horn if you really want to show your girl power.

9. Signs are for direction, not decoration

There is a reason Tommy Trojan is painted on the sidewalk riding his bike in a particular direction. At USC we are told to stand out and go against the norm, but this does not apply when it comes to riding against bike traffic.

10. There are people who have not been blessed with the above advice

Veer away from anyone who appears wobbly, oblivious, or is coming at you with great velocity. Prevent the crash before the chaos.

You are now ready to hop on that beach cruiser and pedal your way down Trousdale! Hopefully we won’t “crash” into each other.

Erika is a junior at the University of Southern California. She is majoring in Human Biology, with an emphasis in the Science of Human Performance. She hopes to minor in journalism or communications. When she is not studying, you can catch Erika dancing down the streets of Los Angeles, or writing in her quirky blog. Unlike the average individual, she aspires to leave the California sunshine, and venture to the hustle and bustle of New York City. While there, her dream is to interview and write for a dance magazine, while pursuing her passion as a dancer.
Hey there! My name is Katherine Lee, but I go by Moi- a childhood nickname that has stuck throughout my entire life.  I am originally from the Bay Area and now I'm student at the Annenberg School of Communications and Journalism at USC.  The one thing I love more than hitting the gym is hitting every good restaurant wherever I am.  A foodie and a gym rat makes me quite a contradictory person, but I hey- I just like to keep things interesting!