scene from Bridgerton on Netflix
scene from Bridgerton on Netflix
Shondaland / Netflix

If You Refuse to Watch Bridgerton, Read This

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USC chapter.

If you haven’t heard of the sexy television craze that is Netflix’s Bridgerton, where have you been the last two months?! Oh, in bed hoping to wake up when this is all over? Yeah, me too.

But seriously, if you haven’t watched Bridgerton yet, there’s probably a reason. I’m here to tell you why that reason is not valid. I apologize in advance for sounding like a teenage YouTuber circa 2016, but I. Am. Obsessed. Here’s why you should be too.

If you hate period pieces:

Bridgerton isn’t a true period piece, for it has quite a few modern twists. Though it’s set in the early 1800s, violin covers of pop hits like “Thank You Next”, and “White Horse” will bring you right back to 2021. In the best way possible. Additionally, though it’s a bit heavy-handed at times, the story has a surprisingly feminist twist. Through the series we follow heroine Daphne Bridgerton (Phoebe Dynevor) as she enters high society London’s competitive marriage court. In a time where women simply weren’t allowed to choose for themselves, Daphne stands up for what she wants again and again, providing a modern spin on an otherwise outdated story of romance. 

If you don’t have the time:

Bridgerton is only 8 episodes. You can watch the entire thing in one day (I know because I did). That’s 8 hours of your time, and 3 of those hours are occupied by sex scenes. It’s easy to watch without having to think too hard. With a mischievous narrator inciting drama throughout the town, it’s reminiscent of a little show called Gossip Girl. And we know you watched all six seasons of that in 2 weeks. You have the time.

If you don’t like love stories:

First, schedule a doctor’s appointment to make sure your heart’s not made of ice. But really, the chemistry between Daphne and The Duke Simon Bassett (Regé-Jean Page), is strong enough to make even the coldest of ice queens believe in love. A classic “let’s pretend to date but we have to make it convincing”, their romance is a rollercoaster of will they won’t theys that you’ll love every second of. Sure it’s predictable but it’s fun. At the end of the day, that’s just what Bridgerton is, fun.

If you hate Julie Andrews:

You are no longer allowed to read HerCampus. Get out of here. Seriously, close the tab, you are not welcome.

Sexy, exciting, and with the perfect amount of overdramatic flair that queen Shonda Rhimes delivers again and again, there is no reason NOT to watch Bridgerton. So, what are you waiting for?

USC c/o 2022
Katie Muschalik is a film student at the University of Southern California. Everything she ever needed to know she learned from a Judy Blume book.