ASK HC: Valentine’s Gift Ideas, I think I like girls…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USC chapter.

I’m freaking out – Valentine’s Day is next week and I have NO IDEA what to get my boyfriend! Help? M.M

Hey M.M., you’re not the only one! It’s always a stress trying to find the perfect gift for the holidays, but you know, you don’t have to buy him something. Valentine’s Day has become so commercialized that it’s starting to lose its meaning.

Why not plan a romantic night he will remember for the rest of his life? Take some time to explore and try new things in the bedroom. Spend some quality time together. I think it goes without saying that men would prefer sex over anything else on Valentine’s Day.

If you want to get him something, think about his interests or hobbies. What does he like to do? Does he play guitar? You could buy him some new guitar strings or a guitar strap. Guys love practical gifts they can use. Gifts.com has a cool feature where you can shop for people by personality.

You can make him something, too. Put a scrapbook together of all your pictures. Make him a CD mix with all his favorite tunes. Get creative. Make him a “Get Out of Jail” card so he doesn’t have to watch a chick flick with you, or wander around *insert girl store name* the next time you go to the mall. Let him pick the next movie you go to see or the next place you go eat at.

Gifts don’t have to be Valentine’s Day themed. People make this holiday a lot harder than it should be!

I think I’m attracted to girls. Lately I’ve noticed myself looking at girls and thinking about them in a sexual way. I’ve never been with a girl before but I find myself wanting to. I don’t know what to do! I’m scared if I tell any of my friends, they will freak out. – L.P.

Hey L.P. – First off, I hope you don’t feel ashamed or that it’s wrong to like girls. If your friends are true, it won’t matter that you’re attracted to girls. They should respect and accept you for who you are.

If you’re looking for a way to explore this side of yourself, you’re in luck. USC has many LGBT resources, and going to some of their events and meetings would be a great way to meet others. There are also many gay dance clubs in LA. TigerHeat, Rage, and the Doll House are some of the ones that come to mind. Check out Lesbian Night Life for other places.

Basically – try it out. There is nothing you should do, just go with what feels right!

Merisenda Bills is a senior majoring in Broadcast and Digital Journalism at USC. She is double minoring in Digital Studies and Interactive Media and the Culture of New Technologies. She is also in the Honors in Multimedia Scholarship Program. She has a passion for writing, photography, and all things multimedia and hopes to find a job doing these things when she graduates college. When she's not running around working on a story, she's doing crafty things like crocheting and painting. She lives her life to the fullest without regrets.