Exchange Student Nicole Bleiler

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USC (AU) chapter.
This week we spoke to exchange student from Boston Nicole Bleiler who came all the way down under to study part of her Bachelor of Arts and Political Science degree.

Her Campus USC: What is the official name of your degree?

Nicole: Bachelor of Arts in Political Science.

HC:  Are you on exchange or studying your full degree in Australia? 

Nicole: I’m on an exchange, I’ll be graduating from Elon University back in the states this coming May.

HC: Where are you from?

Nicole: Boston, Massachusetts, USA.

HC: Why did you choose USC over other Australian universities? 

Nicole: I was looking at the wall of options in the study abroad center at my home university and the pamphlet just jumped out at me! (Laughs) It was definitely good advertising by USC.  After looking at a few different schools USC seemed like it was the best fit.

HC: How does it differ from USC to Elon University?  

Nicole: It’s a bit more diverse.

HC: What are your biggest passions and how do you think studying abroad would help towards your goals?

Nicole: I think traveling is one of the best forms of education. As a Political Science student with my concentration in International Relations I am very interested in different political perspectives.  The international atomosphere at USC creates a compelling variety of students in my area of study.

HC: What do you like most about USC?

Nicole: That’s a tough one! I think the people and the place make it so special.  It’s a diverse school filled with great people in a beautiful location. 

HC: Do you miss home/friends/family and when are you going back?

Nicole: Yeah I get a little homesick every now and again but I think that’s just part of growing up.  I find time to skype with friends and family to stay in touch.

HC: Have you had the chance to see and do everything you’ve wanted to do?

Nicole: Yeah, I’m definitely satisfied with everything I’ve done.

HC: Do you have any advice for students who would be considerig studying abroad?

Nicole: Just to do it!  You can give yourself a million reasons not to but studying abroad is a very rewarding experience and USC has a great community to get involved.

Jasmin Maastricht is a third year Journalism student at USC, the Founder and Editor-in-Chief of the Her Campus chapter at USC, as well as being one of the 2013 USC Student Mentor's, freelancing for online publication WeekendNotes and interning for Australia's number one online fashion store, Fashionfile. Her passion is Journalism but besides that, Jasmin has always had a strong interest in fashion and entertainment, completing six weeks of work experience with Noosa 101.3fm Community Radio Station and has had the amazing opportunity of working with Australia's number one teenage lifestyle magazines, DOLLY in April 2011 and again in April 2013 and Girlfriend in February, 2013. She has also scored herself internships with the Sunshine Coast's local newspaper, the Sunshine Coast Daily and with Caboolture News. She has been working with both papers eight months now. She has previously worked with Darby Radcliff with the Her Campus Ole Miss chapter while on exchange in Mississippi as well as working with the M s Observer magazine and has never looked back. Email Jasmin at jasminmaastricht@hercampus.com for any questions or getting involved at Her Campus USC or contact her via social media. HCXO!