This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

April 22 is Earth Day. This Earth Day we should all strive to create a cleaner and more sustainable world. 

As of right now, the earth is home to over 7 billion people. The believed capacity is 10 billion. According to Paul Ehrlich, a population studies professor at Stanford University, the perfect number is between 1.5 and 2 billion people. The last time only a billion people lived on earth it was the nineteenth century. 

As humans, we have not always lived sustainably. The creation of plastic in 1907 did not help. 

The oceans are terribly polluted and micro-plastics (the microscopic breakdowns of plastic waste) are entering the food chain. We as a species are in serious danger. 

Below I have listed a few ways you can live more sustainably:

Reusable mugs, tumblers, and bottles

If you bring them with you to most coffee shops/ eateries you receive a discount on your purchase

Reusable silverware 

To avoid the plastic ones

Reusable shopping bag

For your groceries and other things

Bamboo toothbrush 

I recommend pairing this with the brand Hello’s charcoal toothpaste

Metal lunchbox 

For lunch or leftovers

Metal straws 

Menstrual cup 

You can save the planet on your period.  

A couple of mason jars

For general storage

I hope this Earth day you can choose to save the planet.

Felrette Greene is currently a sophomore at the University of Rhode Island, she is currently majoring in Political Science. In her free time, she can be found watching Netflix, reading, writing, or taking pictures. You can check out her photography skills on her Instagram @ fifi.greene.