Your Lack of Inspiration Needs Something, and It’s Mr. Kate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Not only am I addicted to YouTube, but I binge watch interior design and home renovation videos, specifically those from Mr. Kate. Mr. Kate is certainly our generation’s design guru, and along with her husband, Joey Zehr, the other half of Mr. Kate, they make a perfect pair for making dreams come true. Joey is the handyman and another set of muscles behind the works and is always down to compliment Kate’s crazy DIYs and endless ideas. My ultimate goal is to have at least one room of my designed by them but we can all dream. I’ve always had a love for interior design from a young age, and even now I still gawk at architecture and analyze decor and the placement of rooms on a more advanced level. Mr. Kate has definitely fueled this passion of mine on a larger scale.

With over three million subscribers, who they call their ‘creative weirdos,’ the dynamic duo has taken the YouTube world by storm by collaborating with big-name influencers. Their most recent project was helping James Charles design his entire house and it left me sister shook. They constantly bring different styles and aesthetics to life, mixing minimalism, modern and boho like it’s nobody’s business. I want to redo my entire room after every single episode I watch. To make matters worse for my addiction, Mr. Kate just announced that they are going to have an HGTV special called Help My House! It premieres Saturday, February 9th at 2 p.m. so you already know where I’ll be on that day. 

Mr. Kate has multiple series including OMG We’re Coming Over where they visit popular YT influencers at their home and completely redesign a specific room. What I love most is that their audience doesn’t only consist of YouTubers. Mr. Kate receives personal submission videos from people all over who are in need of some sweet renovation. This certainly makes their channel even more that relatable and down to earth. My favorite is OMG We Bought A House where Kate and Joey bring you along on their own personal decorating journey of their entire home. In 20 episodes you’ll never feel more ready to buy your own house. Most recently, the couple released OMG We’re Having A Baby as Kate is preparing to give birth to a creative prodigy I presume. With this series, they added a more personal window into their lives while Kate still continues to literally redesign whole houses because well, she’s a badass.

Aside from YouTube, Mr. Kate is a lifestyle brand that also creates beautiful delicate jewelry, office accessories, and amazing hand drawn doodles that are sold in many different forms. Once you watch only one of their YT vids you’re gonna be obsessed like me. Want to feel like an even bigger fan? A solution is Mr. Kate’s aesthetic quiz. After learning about a bunch of different styles and tastes that people have in their videos, you’ll ask yourself, what the heck is mine? Mr. Kate’s aesthetic quiz enables us to identify our design blends in a way that we may have never done before or thought possible. I think I’ve done it like 10 times. 

Bottom line is, make sure you subscribe to Mr. Kate on YouTube and keep up with their growing projects (and baby)! Because, why not?