Yes, This Is That Cheesy “End of Study Abroad” Post

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Looking back on this past semester feels like such a dream. I have had the privilege of studying abroad in Dublin and the experience has truly been one of the most incredible periods of my life. It was not long ago that I was sitting on a plane traveling to Ireland for the first time. I vividly remember sitting by myself wondering if I was making a mistake; if I should have stayed at home with what I know. Now that it is almost all over, I can confidently say that it was not a mistake and studying abroad has been one of the best decisions I ever made. Through all the stress and even on the bad days, I have always been so grateful to be abroad and experiencing this incredible chapter of my life. 

Exploring Brussels

During the semester I was able to travel throughout Ireland and Europe. Travel has always been a big goal of mine and I was able to see so many breathtaking places during my time abroad. Traveling in Europe is ao much easier than in America. Taking advantage of this is a major part of why many students choose international study experiences. Each new city exposed me to different sights, languages, foods and ways of life. I believe it is so important to understand the diversity of our world and traveling is one of the best ways to do that. Seeing the sheer number of people, places and lifestyles on this planet is extremely humbling. 

Spending Easter in Dublin

When leaving home for this adventure, one of my biggest fears was being on my own. I left without knowing a single person in my program, university or even in Ireland. I am so blessed to have friends and family at home that made it so difficult to leave. I am even more blessed to have found a new circle of friends abroad that became a huge part of why my semester was as great as it was. Living and traveling together brought us closer. I couldn’t be more grateful for every person I have met along this journey. From nights out in the pubs to cooking dinner together to taking on all of the challenges of traveling on a budget, I will always treasure the memories we made over the past few months.

Visiting Northern Ireland

While leaving home by myself was terrifying at the moment, it has been so rewarding. If I had not taken the leap and gone on this adventure, I would have missed out on so much. I have learned so much in the classroom, about the world and about myself. I couldn’t be more thankful for everyone who’s been along for the ride. As the semester comes to a close, my passport is full and my wallet is empty but I’ve never been richer.

Biological Sciences major at the University of Rhode Island. In my free time you can find me dancing, watching football, or cooking vegetarian meals!