samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why You Should Study Abroad by Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Before I even knew what college I would be attending, I knew that I wanted to experience a semester abroad. The idea of living in a different country and experiencing an entirely new way of life excited me and pushed me to work towards this goal. I was very determined to make this dream a reality. When it came time to apply to programs I became quite nervous, as many people I know who had studied abroad previously went with a friend or someone else from their school. This was not the case for me. I am the only student from my home university in my program this semester. When I first realized this, I had a moment of panic. Knowing that I was about to transfer to a school in a foreign country where I did not know a single person was terrifying. This fact greatly contributed to my nerves when I was first leaving America. However, now that I am weeks into my program, I could not be happier to have taken this journey independently.

Exploring the city of Brussels with some of the wonderful ladies that this semester has brought into my life.

One of the greatest benefits of studying abroad solo is the opportunity to meet new people in your host country. When I first arrived in Dublin, I was immediately thrown into a group of other international students through my program as well as my housing arrangement. Had I come into those first few weeks with a partner by my side, I would not have been as motivated or active in getting to know the other students. Being on my own, I quickly got to know the new faces that I am now lucky to call my friends. Another hurdle I faced going abroad alone came on the first day of classes. Typically at home, I recognize many faces in my lectures and have people to sit with. However, starting fresh at a new university made me feel like a freshman all over again. While walking into classrooms alone was intimidating on the first day, it again opened up opportunities to meet other students and allow me to feel more confident in facing new challenges.

Taking advantage of time in Connemara to enjoy the views

Another perk of traveling on my own has been just that: alone time. When traveling with others it often becomes difficult to accommodate everyone’s schedules. While going abroad by myself I have enjoyed some time for me. At home, I sometimes become embarrassed to do things on my own. I often think that if others see me alone they will assume I do not have friends. However, during my semester abroad I no longer feel this pressure. I am more concerned with taking advantage of the time that I have here, even if that means doing things solo. I have enjoyed having time by myself to explore museums, parks and even just my new campus. If I want to spend a little longer looking at a certain painting, I can, with no pressure to move on until I want to. I am able to work on my own schedule and do what suits me best. Having alone time has been something I have greatly appreciated while on this trip.

Finding peace in a quiet moment alone at the Ring of Kerry

Finally, one of my favorite parts of studying abroad by myself is having a completely clean slate with everyone you meet. No one in this country had any preconceived notions about me or even knew my name before I introduced myself. I am not expected to fit into a certain box by anyone and am completely free to be exactly who I want to be. I am able to meet so many new people and feel confident knowing that I am being the most authentic version of myself that I can possibly be. That feeling alone makes me so happy.

A secret perk of going abroad solo: You get a lot more pictures of yourself!

The idea of going to a foreign country where you do not know a single person and living there for four months sounds intimidating and scary. However, I did exactly that and it has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. It challenged me to rediscover who I am and who I want to be and has allowed me to get to know so many incredible people. I am so grateful to have this opportunity and so glad that I did not give up on my dream when it became daunting. If you are considering a semester abroad, I highly encourage you to dive into it with a positive attitude and a big smile on your face. You never know what is waiting for you until you try.

Biological Sciences major at the University of Rhode Island. In my free time you can find me dancing, watching football, or cooking vegetarian meals!