This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

When people ask me what my major is and I respond with Kinesiology, I often get a blank stare and a confused “what is that?” in response. I then go on to explain that I want to use my degree to become a physical therapist and then the light-bulb turns on in their head.

Photo by Filip Mroz on Unsplash

So, what even is Kinesiology?

It’s the study of the movement of the body. As a Kinesiology major you learn about exercise and how it affects your body. You also learn how to help others with rehabilitation, nutrition, and training skills. Although it is a science-based major, which can sound boring to some, Kinesiology classes often includes some type of interactive activity based off of movement. For example, in a Kinesiology class you might complete a “step-test” to determine your level of health and fitness.

Photo by Geert Pieters on Unsplash

Kinesiology offers many different career paths too. I am on the physical therapy path, but it doesn’t stop there. You can follow the personal trainer path, the physical education teacher path, or the occupational therapy path. You can even receive a basic degree in exercise science that allows you to do whatever you would like at any point in your future.

Why did I choose this major?  

I did not want to spend four years earning a degree that would end in a job I would despise going into everyday. The world of rehabilitation is constantly evolving. Every year researchers come out with better ways to alleviate pain and treat patients. I learn best in hands on situations and that is exactly what this major entails.

Is it a lot of work? Yes!

Is being in school until I’m at least 25 going to be worth it in the end? Absolutely, because I truly believe that in the end I’ll be happy because I won’t feel like I worked a day in my life. 

I'm Natalie Prisco and I am a Senior at the University of Rhode Island majoring in Kinesiology on the Physical Therapy track. I am one of the Campus-Correspondents at URI. In my free time you can catch me going to the gym, hanging out with friends or binge watching Netflix.