sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

I feel like every time October rolls around, a flip switches in everyone’s brains. Every other post on my Twitter timeline has to do with “spooky szn.” I guess the month of October is like a lesser December (no offense). I am no different, there is definitely something about the October air that just brings excitement. Whether it be Halloween, apple/pumpkin picking, pumpkin painting/carving, haunted houses, or just the long-awaited arrival of fall weather, we are all definitely guilty of enjoying this haunted month a little too much.

The most obvious enjoyment in October is most definitely Halloween. I mean who doesn’t love playing dress-up? It’s that one time of the year that we can all let out our inner child, and you know, sometimes that is so needed. A good costume is vital to enjoying your Halloween season so be creative! Also, trick-or-treating is basically the greatest idea ever, I mean who doesn’t love free candy? (I say this in a totally not weird way). Preparing and decorating for Halloween is also something that I always look forward to. When I was a kid I absolutely loved decorating our front lawn with all of the spooky decorations that my family had. I love going to pumpkin patches and going on hayrides, and I know I’m not in on this alone. I do, however, hate carving pumpkins. It’s so difficult and messy and just not my thing personally. I’m pretty jealous of skilled pumpkin carvers. Carved pumpkins can really make a difference in a Halloween themed porch. Finally, I love Halloween baking. Everything is always so festive and creative, and we cannot forget about the Pillsbury picture cookies of course (those are great for any holiday season). I’m already making sure my house will be stocked with picture cookies when I visit home for Columbus Day weekend.

Courtesy of Unsplash

Now, here are a few things about October that I am not too fond of, but I totally understand if it’s your thing. First, scary movies, I cannot do it. I know I sound boring and totally out of touch with my inner Halloween spirit, but I seriously am the biggest scaredy-cat  I know. I am totally jealous of anyone who can participate in a scary movie night because it looks like so much fun. Personally, I would rather be able to sleep peacefully. That being said, I figure you would also assume that I cannot participate in haunted houses. I’ve gone to Six Flags Fright Fest a few times and that was enough for me. I don’t think I would ever sleep again if I was forced to go into a haunted house. October also saddens me because it reminds me that summer is pretty much over, which is bittersweet. October comes at a time that I feel like everyone is just ready for it to cool down a bit, but as soon as it happens there is an instant longing for summer. In the month of September, we can still argue that there is still a bit of summer because of Labor Day Weekend, but October really represents an end to the beloved season.

Courtesy of Unsplash

Whether you dread the arrival of the month of October or embrace all of the spookiness that the month brings, it really has something for everyone. So go out and enjoy all of what October has to offer, it is just the beginning!

My name is Mackenzie Moraski, I am a freshman and I'm undecided! In my free time I love playing with my dog.