Why College Is So Different From High School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

High school was a long four years. Freshman year, you’re only about thirteen/fourteen and by the time you leave you’re practically an adult. So much change comes along with the transition into college and I wanted to list some of the things that have been dramatically different for me since high school. 

1. Friendships

In high school, you were surrounded by the same people for all four years. You didn’t have much room to meet new people, especially if you were from a small town. College provides an environment where people can come and go as they please. No one is required to be there and they can attend college at any point. I’ve met some great people since last semester, people that I don’t think I could have found back in my hometown. In college, most people have very open minds which can be great if that’s what you like in potential friends. I know I do! Especially if you’re taking classes that really interest you, you’ll find other people in those classes that also may have the same interests as you. People are not out to be rude. Most people are looking for a friendship, just like you.

2. Diet

I came from a house where my meals were mostly home made and I didn’t have much variation. My father, who is the cook of my house, never really deviated far from his extensive five meals he has made for as long as I can remember. Colleges, URI at least, provide a buffett style cafeteria and that dramatically changed the way I ate. First semester, I was only eating comfort food, like mashed potatoes and mac and cheese. I gained weight, as most freshman do. This semester I decided I wanted to eat better, nutrient filled meals. The great thing about college dining halls is that you always have more than just fried, heavy food. There are normally healthy options like brown rice and salad. I love the fact that I have flexibility when it comes to food.

3. Sleeping

In high school, I would have a very organized day. I fell asleep at a specific time and woke up at a specific time. In college, some nights I’ll get nine or more hours of sleep and other nights I’ll get four. You could end up studying late or maybe if the people you live with have friends over. Sleeping is so important but can sometimes be tricky.

4. Responsibilities

No longer are you relying on the gracious help from your parents when you come to college. Your set of responsibilities changes because your priorities become much different and much more personal to you. You become responsible for your own education so you can one day achieve a degree in the field you’re interested in. I’ve had days where I’ll have two appointments for two completely different things. You have to manage your time and take responsibility for not only your school work but also the things that become important as you become an adult. 

Brooke Conneally is a sophomore at the University of Rhode Island, majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Communications. She spends most of her time playing guitar while singing, pinning projects on Pinterest, cuddling with her cats, and organizing her room.