What You Should Take Advantage of in RI in the Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Summer is just about over and you’re going to need new places to visit and new things to do. Yes, Rhode Island beaches are beautiful but a change of scenery is never a bad thing. We’re all very lucky to be going to school in the Ocean State and URI is located near a number of destinations that no student should miss out on. Although you’re on a college budget, exploring Rhode Island is worth it. Never settle for sitting around and waiting for something to happen. Check out this list and it’s guaranteed you’ll have something to do before the extreme cold hits.

Fort Wetherill State Park — Jamestown, RI

Situated at the top of 100ft. high cliffs, Fort Wetherill’s remains from World War II still stand overlooking the Newport Harbor and Narragansett Bay. This place is full of picture perfect moments waiting to happen. Feel the rush of cliff jumping, explore the tunnels in the fort and watch boats float by while the sun is setting. Nothing is like exploring with your friends and making your college experience unique. Take a ride down to Jamestown because the area is beautiful. 

(Photos from Instagram users @cjnardone; @kayaoner; @bdotfresh)

Newport, RI

Own a pair of the world’s comfiest shoes? Wear them when you plan to face Newport because the streets provide a glimpse of fascination and excitement around every corner. There is no such thing as boredom in Newport because it’s a city of history and astonishing beauty. From sight seeing historic Mansions, strolling by the famous Cliff Walk, to shopping at local quirky boutiques and enjoying delicious meals at restaurants on the water. Make sure your bring your family here during parents weekend There is always something new to experience the extravagance of Newport.

(Photo credit)

Providence, RI

Providence is Rhode Island’s capital and “city that never sleeps”. It’s filled with art, music, classic New England history and tons of culture. Providence is known as the “Creative Capital” due to the city’s resources and creative economy. Walk the streets and be inspired by young aspiring artists! Also, don’t forget about the Providence Place Mall. In Capitol Hill, Providence holds their annual WaterFire events! WaterFire Providence is a non-profit arts organization whose mission is to inspire Providence and its visitors by reviving their urban experience, community engagement and creatively transforming the city by presenting WaterFire for all to enjoy. Their website has a schedule of when the shows will be presented! What an amazing way to motivate people to strive for greatness. 

(Photo from Instagram user @waterfirephotogs)

The Fantastic Umbrella Factory — Charlestown, RI

If you’re looking for a place with good vibes, The Fantastic Umbrella Factory is your destination. Along with their several flower gardens and green houses, there are shops that sell handcrafted goods from all over the world like jewelry and clothing, tapestries, musical instruments and lots more. Take a walk through their bamboo forest too! Watch your step, you might run into their chickens. 

Photo credit: Umbrelly Factory and Instagram user @jessicapace_

Brickley’s Ice Cream — Wakefield & Narragansett, RI

Three words, one love and all worth the thousands of calories. Brickley’s is known for its fresh ice cream, which they make all onsite at their Narragansett location. As you walk into the store, beware of the fresh cone sweet smell; it’s tempting. There are over 45 flavors of ice cream, frozen yogurt, sherbets, no-sugar added ice cream and sorbet. The Narragansett location is open through Oct. 5 and the Wakefield location closes on Oct. 26. Make sure you go at a good time because lines are always filing out the door. I recommend their Peanut Butter Cup flavor with hot fudge in a waffle cone. It pairs perfectly with Halloween just around the corner! Join the Brickley’s craze while its open, it’s addicting and delicious. 

Photo Credit: Brickley’s Facebook Page

Allie’s Donuts — North Kingstown, RI

Who doesn’t love donuts? Sweet tooth lovers, prepare to encounter the tastiest treats around! Since 1968, Allie’s Donuts has been up and running making their reputation famous all over Rhode Island with plenty of options to choose from. The crunch and taste of the donut is so irresistible, that people dine on the dashboards of their car. The variety is endless! Beside donuts, they also offer muffins, cupcakes, turnovers, and coffee. Don’t forget to check out their mouthwatering donut cakes!

Photo From: Allie’s Donuts Facebook Page

Crazy Burger Café & Juice Bar — Narragansett, RI

You haven’t had New England clam chowder until you’ve had Crazy Burger’s own. Not only are their “Hoof, Fin & Claw” burgers fantastic at every bite, they offer options for vegans. This place has it all; offering breakfast, lunch and dinner! During parents weekend bring them down to Crazy burger to share some “Mad Mexi-Skins” and sweet potato fries. It’s guaranteed that the service and food will be outstanding and keep you wanting more!

Fun Fact: Guy Fieri visted this place and drooled over their Whassupy Burger made with melted Brie cheese and a sesame-fennel-wasabi spice mix. The legend does not lie! 

Photo From: Crazy Burger Cafe & Juice Bar Facebook Page

Rhody Special Events

Zedd Concert: Oct. 6 – One of the biggest EDM DJ’s in the world will be holding a concert at URI’s own, Ryan Center. To the people who love EDM and a good time, tickets are going fast! 

Homecoming 2015: Oct. 16-18 – Get your blue and white ready to rock for this weekend, Rams! Start getting pumped for the new school year, show some spirit and attend the football game and rally events.

Halloween Bus Trip to Colosseum in Providence, RI: Oct. 29 – The official start of “halloWEEK” at URI. This club in Providence is entirely rented out for our private event and makes transportation easy for students on an off campus! Locations for pick up are the emporium and Eastward. Dress up with your friends and get excited! It’s a great start to a week of madness and enjoyment. 

Enjoy what Rhode Island is offering you along side with friends and pumpkin spice lattes in hand.

I'm willing to make anybody smile. I write to show how I chase happiness, contain & maintain positivity, express love and thought, and pursue strength and stability.