What You Learn Outside of the Classroom While Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Although it may not seem like it according to many international students Instagram accounts, we are in fact taking classes and studying while we are away. Although classroom learning is important, much of the learning and growth that an international student experiences during their time abroad happens outside of their host university. By being thrown into another culture you can learn so much in such a short time.

I personally have experienced many life lessons during my time away from home. 

One of the biggest lessons you have to learn in order to successfully study abroad is how to speak up for and advocate for yourself.

This was not something I was particularly good at before this semester. I would often get nervous or feel guilty when drawing attention to myself. However, from the time I started the application process, I knew I would do whatever it would take to make my dream a reality. Sometimes I still get nervous when meeting with advisors and professors at my host university, but I know that I am at a very important and valuable stage of my life. And to not seize every opportunity that comes my way would be silly. Facing the fear of speaking up has been so beneficial for me. In many situations, I can now feel more comfortable and confident knowing that even though it may be outside my comfort zone. I am acting in a way that will benefit me and help me to grow. 

Another important lesson I have learned is how to connect with all types of people.

Too often we get stuck in our own bubble and become afraid to branch out of our circles. In a few short months, I have gone from not knowing a single person in the country to having friends from not just my host city, but also countries around the world. Interacting with those who have grown up in a completely different lifestyle than you can open your eyes and teach you about humanity in a way that a classroom will never be able to. Traveling to new countries has allowed me to see so many different cultures and experience life from so many different perspectives.

Finally, I have also learned the skill of planning and time management.

These skills are important for all college students. Admittedly, they have never been my strength. However, this semester I had no choice but to become a planner. From studying to weekend trips and spring break, my days are jam-packed and my time is valuable. If I don’t plan ahead, everything falls apart. Using any downtime I have to squeeze in another experience or a quick review of a quizlet is so beneficial. A busy schedule is overwhelming at times, but it has helped me to grow and be more responsible. A semester abroad teaches you lessons both inside and outside the classroom. While you may be able to take courses not offered at your home university, it truly is what you learn in your experiences that will stick with you the most.

Biological Sciences major at the University of Rhode Island. In my free time you can find me dancing, watching football, or cooking vegetarian meals!