Life > Experiences

What it’s Like Being the Dorkiest One in the Friend Group

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

So, I’m not going to lie to you, I’ve got a lot of really great friends here, but sometimes I wonder: How do they deal with my inner nerd? I’ve realized my personality is split in two; one girl loves to go to clubs and frat parties, and the other girl could easily be in bed at nine o’clock on a  Friday with a cup of coffee and a “put-you-to sleep-it’s-so-boring” kind of book. Thus, my friends know Kate, the nerd, and they have also met my alter ego, (whom they’ve gifted with the name of Carmen) the party person. Although, my nine-to-five personality is the nerd, and when she’s on the clock, she’s quite the geek of the group. 

My friends constantly don’t understand my vocabulary, which, in my opinion, is not that extensive or impressive. However, it has gotten to the point that, if I’m telling my friends a story and I use my “big girl words”, they will tilt their heads quizzically at me as a dog does to their owner and say “definition, please?”. I am now often referred to as Merriam-Webster. 

They don’t empathize with my book references! Okay, so, I know I’m a loser if I talk about Moby Dick all the time, but a casual Shakespeare reference here and there never hurt anybody… right? If I’m lucky and they don’t hear the reference, then my stupidly satisfied grin will give away my nerd-ness. 

If you’re the biggest nerd of the group, then you’ll surely be the one everyone comes to first for homework help. I don’t mind helping, but if the work has absolutely anything to do with numbers or science, then my whole body shuts down. However, if the homework includes any type of writing, revising, and editing, then I’m suddenly on speed-dial. 

I should probably hate the fact that I’m the biggest nerd of the group, but I can’t help but poke fun at it; I think it’s hilarious that I seem to be the only one with the nerdiest passions. If you know you’re the nerd, just embrace it. If you know you’re the cool one, just embrace it. Wherever you fall on the “cool” spectrum or the “nerd” spectrum, all you have to do is embrace your spot… and maybe mess around with your alter ego every once in a while!  

Hi, I'm Kate :). I'm an English and Writing and Rhetoric major and I'm a Sophomore at the University of Rhode Island. I love writing, editing, and publishing and I'm a sucker for good books, good friends, and even better cups of coffee. As a concluding statement enjoy this dad joke: "why couldn't the bicycle stand up by itself?" "Because it was two-tired".