clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What I Wish Someone Told Me Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

It is difficult for me to believe that I am approaching the end of my time as a college student and will soon be finishing up my undergraduate degree. It feels like not too long ago I was packing up the car for the first time and moving my things into a cramped dorm room. Looking back at my first year at URI, there is not much that I would change. I sincerely enjoyed the excitement of a new environment and learned many lessons during the transition. However, now that I am so close to finishing up, there are a few pieces of advice that I would offer to anyone beginning their college career that I wish someone had told me in 2016. 

Photo by mauro mora on Unsplash

1. Not everyone you meet will be your best friend-and that’s okay.

One of the scariest parts of starting at a new school is not knowing anyone and having to make a whole new set of friends. It is no secret that at the beginning things can be quite forced and awkward between all of the new faces you are interacting with. With all the excitement, it is easy to want everyone to be your new best friend, but that is not always going to be the case. Not everyone will be your cup of tea and that is alright. Even when peoplle rub you the wrong way, just be kind and know that you will find the right people, even if it means going through too many introductions.

Photo by Tra Nguyen on Unsplash

2. Your professors genuinely want to help you and see you succeed-but you need to put in the effort.

I can so vividly remember how nervous I would get to go to a professor’s office hours my first year. It can be intimidating to show up and ask for help from someone who has such a busy schedule and so many students. However, it is important to remember that it is their job to teach you and they hold office hours for a reason. Being able to admit when you are struggling and getting help is so important, and often the professor will respect you more than if you are not doing well and do not do anything about it. So do not be afraid to speak up for yourself and get help when needed.

Photo by Duy Pham on Unsplash

3. GET INVOLVED!

College is truly what you make of it. One of the best ways to enjoy your time as a student is to join an organization. Many groups are looking for new students to join at the beginning of the year. The first few weeks are often great opportunities to learn more about clubs and attend various information sessions and meetings. In addition to your classes and residence, getting involved on campus is such an important way to make friends, have an impact, and feel at home in your new environment.

Biological Sciences major at the University of Rhode Island. In my free time you can find me dancing, watching football, or cooking vegetarian meals!