burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Ways to Save Money in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

We all know that college is way too expensive, and I’m not just talking about tuition. I’m talking about any other spending you want to do while in college, whether it be food, clothes, Uber, etc. I have found some ways to help me save and make money back in just the first few months of my first semester, and I think everyone should utilize them, especially when you want to save!

Courtesy: Unplash

Rakuten

Rakuten, formerly known as Ebates, is the best way to earn cashback online. I’ve booked hotel rooms, ordered an abundance of clothes, and earned a small, but rewarding, amount of cashback. It’s super easy to make an account, and once you do you’ll start earning in no time. Also, redeeming your cash is super easy and makes it so worth it to go through one more step before ordering that online shopping, and getting a percentage of your cashback.

RetailMeNot

RetailMeNot is another super-easy way to save money before shopping or ordering anything. Find out about all the latest deals and sales by simply searching for the store you are looking for, and receiving an abundance of online codes and in-store bar codes. Although you do not physically earn cashback, it’s a good way to save yourself from spending any extra cash. 

Amazon

I think Amazon is a great way to get staple items for a lesser price. I always use Amazon when searching for a generic piece of clothing or any type of accessory or utility when I find myself in need. It’s also great if you can take advantage of your parents Amazon Prime account, as I have learned. 

Groupon

My mom literally swears by Groupon, so you know it’s got to be good! Not only for accessories and clothes, but Groupon is great for deals on nights out and activities going on around you. It’s definitely worth the stop online when you’re in the mood for some fun but on budget.

Sell Your Clothes…Now!

This strays from the list of actual websites, but I’m telling you selling your clothes is a great feeling. Go through your closets full of clothes you haven’t worn in years, and download apps like Poshmark and Depop where you can sell your closet to online buyers, or just bring them to your local consignment shop and see what they will take! It’s a great way to do a bit of cleaning and earn some cash at the same time.

I hope this list helps some of you save some cash for rainy days! I definitely swear by all of these in helping me save a little bit of cash when I feel the need to splurge.

Courtesy: Unsplash

My name is Mackenzie Moraski, I am a freshman and I'm undecided! In my free time I love playing with my dog.