URI Celebrates Self-Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.
There may be times in your life when you feel alone, stuck, and unlovable. You may feel like no one is looking out for you and that you may never be good enough. The days of feeling this way are over; it’s time for a change. In order to fix the way we feel about ourselves, we must turn our attention to what really matters in the world: me, myself, and I

The nursing fraternity of URI, Alpha Tau Delta, has named this week “Self-Love Week.”

Self-Love week was created on the basis of loving yourself and the way that affects your life and loved ones around you. Alpha Tau Delta’s president, Shaylah Morse, sees great importance in spreading this message.

“Our goal is to promote random acts of kindness and to raise awareness about mental illness. 1 in 5 US citizens suffer from some form of mental illness and the third leading cause of death for college students is suicide,” Morse said. “The topic of mental illness is so stigmatized by our culture and this factor is what contributes to people suffering in silence. Our organization wanted to start a campus wide discussion and awareness campaign while creating opportunities for people to make a difference.”

Alpha Tau Delta encourages all students to spread awareness by “paying it forward”. Simple gestures such as posting sticky-notes around campus with inspiring quotes promoting self-love and happiness will make a huge difference. 
To further promote the importance of loving yourself, Alpha Tau Delta will be holding a $2 Yoga event in the FitWell center on Wednesday, March 4 at 8p.m. to teach about mind and body balance as well as the healing properties of meditation. To finish the week, there will be a nutrition event on Thursday, March 5 at 6p.m. in White Hall room 205 to teach individuals how to feed their bodies in a healthy way (even on a college student’s budget). 

Alpha Tau Delta hopes you will join them in the celebration of self-love throughout this week so that we may all live happier and healthier.

Jess Schwartz is a freshman Communication Studies and Theatre (Acting) double-major at URI. She's a sister of Kappa Delta sorority and the Social Media Coordinator of hungryrhody.com.