URI Celebrates First Annual Giving Tuesday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

If you’re reading this, you have survived the massive crowds of Black Friday and your computer has made it through Cyber Monday without crashing. Now, it’s the Tuesday after Thanksgiving and it’s time for the first annual #URIGivingTuesday.

Giving Tuesday is a global holiday that takes place annually on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving. After two of the largest and most popular shopping events in the United States on Friday and Monday, Giving Tuesday encourages people to give back by purchasing gifts that support specific causes. 

This year, on Tuesday, December 1, the University of Rhode Island will be taking part in the 24-hour Giving Tuesday campaign for the first time ever. URI’s Giving Tuesday aims to raise $50,000 from 250 donors in this one day event. The university also aims to increase donations in terms of number of donors and dollars raised. Renewal gifts and upgrades will be a part of the fundraising strategy, but a special focus will be on acquiring non-donors in hopes that alumni, friends, faculty, staff and others will give a gift today.

By making gifts, the university hopes to increase URI pride and showcase the importance of philanthropy. Here’s how you can get involved:

• Make a gift yourself. Click here for a list of giving options and to make a gift TODAY. Gifts can also be made by calling 401.875.7900 or by visiting a booth on campus in the Memorial Union from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.; Hope Commons from 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.; or on the Quad from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
  • Encourage other members of the URI community to make a gift.
  • Share URI’s social media posts about #URIGivingTuesday.
  • Share this post!

Please click here for more information or contact Paul Knott, Assistant Director of Annual Giving at 401.874.2296 or paul_knott@uri.edu.

Sabrina is a senior at URI studying public relations. She is originally from MA but has found a home in the Ocean State. A peer mentor, sister of Kappa Delta sorority, and HC Campus Correspondent at URI, she loves being involved on campus. If she could describe herself in a few words, she would say she's a driven individual with a huge heart who's obsessed with all things fashion, music, and adventurous.