This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

The library is a place of work and studying but let’s be honest, it is also a place of crying, anxiety and pure frustration. Here are the types of people you will encounter in the average college library. 

1. The All-Nighters

Ever go to the library late at night or early the next morning and see the same people? Yup, those are these people. These students think pulling an all-nighter in the 24-hour room will help them earn an A on the exam or project. They are usually surrounded by coffee and plenty of snacks. Typically dressed in an oversized sweater and sweats from the night before. 

2. The Loud “Study” Group 

Study groups can be a good thing. However, when it turns into the entire group talking at full volume (or louder) about something completely unrelated to the material, then you are that group that everyone avoids sitting near. The library is supposed to be a quiet (depending on the floor) space where people can go to do work and not listen to why your friend thought it would be a good idea to jump through a table at the darty this past weekend. 

3. The Procrastinators

The paper is due at 11:59 p.m. on Thursday night and this person is seen at the library between the hours of 9 p.m. and 11:59 p.m. scrambling to finish the paper in time so they can press submit. These people may also be those that are pulling all-nighters in the 24 hour room trying to teach themselves a whole semester of calculus the night before the final exam. 

4. The “Staying Ahead” Students

Photo by Renáta-Adrienn on Unsplash

These students typically have a planner, their laptop and every possible thing that they might need in tote with them. They usually start at the top of their to-do list and work their way through. When asked what they are doing, they usually answer “oh I’m just trying to get ahead and stay ahead.”

5. The Third Floor Dwellers 

For some reason, the first and second floors of the library aren’t quiet enough so they make the haul up to the 3rdfloor. They’re the ones that give you dirty looks when you sneeze or eat a granola because it is supposed to be SILENT 24/7 and if you can’t do that then you probably shouldn’t sit up there. 

6. Just Your Average College Student 

The average student spends their time between classes getting some work done or studying. They may even be catching up on some Netflix while they make their study guide. This student is laid-back and relaxed to an extent but is a procrastinator or the student that is super ahead. 

I'm Natalie Prisco and I am a Senior at the University of Rhode Island majoring in Kinesiology on the Physical Therapy track. I am one of the Campus-Correspondents at URI. In my free time you can catch me going to the gym, hanging out with friends or binge watching Netflix.