This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Stagnation is something I have always feared, and I remember this fear being strongest at the end of my senior year of high school. I remember being worried about moving on with my life in an unfulfilling way. I remember, most of all, being afraid of losing my passions and eagerness. There is a common belief that a person is the sum of the five people they spend the most time with, and I am grateful that I have been able to surround myself with close friends who inspire me to use this fear as a motivator. 

During these times of uncertainty and change that comes with graduating from high school, two of my best friends shared my vision to build something to keep up all moving and learning. I can recall early mornings spent in our local bakery where we set up plans and shared ideas about how we could take initiative to do something meaningful to us all. Each of us have always been very passionate about the environment and businesses that support spreading a positive message, so we decided to combine the two. 

Woman Wearing Blue Top Beside Table
Photo by Christina Morillo from Pexels

At first, we were thinking on a large scale, and I am glad we did. None of us were prepared for all that comes with business, and through months of looking into all that would go with creating something large, we all learned a great deal about our potential and the world around us. This also made us realize that not only did a large company not fit our image, but it would not be the most environmentally friendly. 

After much research and forming our own direction, we created a little something that we now know as Twist Twice. (Hit us up on Insta- @twisttwice.co). Our mission is to bring you eco-friendly products by thrifting, upcycling, and handcrafting. The more we reuse, and steer clear of fast fashion, the less we take from beautiful Earth. Most of Twist Twice’s products come with a story, and each creation has become a building block to helping the environment and helping ourselves become better people.

Woman holding \"Save Our Future\" sign
Photo by Markus Spiske from Unsplash

Twist Twice saw its first event last month, and watching people immerse in the idea of making a positive impact while shopping is a memory I will hold with me. To me, the most incredible part of everything that has developed from Twist Twice has been sharing unique stories of the items that we have sold such as handmade jewelry, one-of-a-kind painted pieces of wood that came from a fallen tree in my own backyard, and previously-loved clothes that have been made fresh again with new designs. My friends and I have all shared with one another how much Twist Twice has impacted our lives, and it is an ongoing experience that I will continue to hold close to my heart. 

Starting something great does not mean it has to bring fame and fortune. Through starting Twist Twice, I have learned first-hand how incredible adding something small and new into the world can prove to be, and I suggest that if you are feeling stagnant, you should go for something you have been dreaming about. Find your five people who inspire you, and immerse yourself in the potential you hold. I hope to see you at the next Twist Twice event!

Hi! My name is Alyssa Houlis, and I am a senior English major with a business minor. I have enjoyed my studies at URI for all of the opportunities I get to write and explore the lovely language that is English. I am excited to see what opportunities will present themselves once I graduate from lil' Rhody! In my free time, you will probably catch me hugging a tree, painting, or skating!