Traits We Can Blame Our Zodiac For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

It’s been debated for as long as psychology has been a field of study, whether or not we are born with different personality traits or if our environment makes us who we are. If you look even further back into history, you will be exposed to another idea about why we act the way we do. The relationships between planets, stars and the calendar and how it all has an affect on us comes from the principles of Greek Mythology. This whole idea of astrology and zodiac signs can sometimes be overlooked as some kind of hippie, free-spirit belief.

If you have ever read your horoscope, you know there is some serious truth behind our signs. One of the biggest perks of the zodiac is that we can take a closer look at ourselves and see that our flaws are more than just personal imperfections. Instead of just dwelling on the bad traits we have, it’s a much better idea to be aware of them and use them to your advantage. Though it might be a harsh reality, here a just a few of the personality traits that we can blame the stars for.

Aquarius (January 20 – February 18)

I won’t be the first person to tell you that you’re cold to the core because you know your vibes are seriously icy. You probably think that Beyonce wrote the line, remember those walls I built, well baby their tumbling down.. about your love life because being standoffish against intimacy is your go-to defense mechanism. Can you say silent treatment?

Pisces (February 19 – March 20)

You have to be very careful not to let your optimism get the best of you because believe it or not, you are one of the zodiac’s most sensitive signs. You often find yourself confused about the actual reality of a situation because your imagination about your actions and the world around you are just so much easier to believe in.

Aries (March 21 – April 19)

You like to think of yourself as a good leader, and although you might not be wrong, your stubbornness and narrow vision towards goals may come off as being a bit selfish to the world around you. Don’t get me wrong you’re probably a boss but its important to limit the amount of times a week you are impulsive or say things like “I want it now”.

Taurus (April 20 – May 20)

Your fears of the unknown and disregard for anything that can be determined by fate make you come across as pretty snobby. You have big goals of being financially stable but the only thing that may stand in your way is your own stubbornness. 

Gemini (May 21 – June 20)

You live in a constant battle between needing a change and being completely indecisive. Whether the people around you like it or not, you will talk until you run out of things to say, which is very unlikely. If it wasn’t for your charming, likeable character most of the people you meet would probably just think you’re a two-faced, attention seeker.

Cancer (June 21 – July 22)

Those around you probably feel as though you are a ticking time bomb of emotions. Your moods change so often on a daily basis, that you probably don’t even know what will set you off anymore. Being so sensitive can definitley have its perks, but sometimes it brings you some major insecurities.

Leo (July 23 – August 22)

Your biggest challenge is putting your pride aside and even though it’s probably not your intention, you tend to come across alittle arrogant. If you could, you would major in your favorite subject- yourself. And just like your sign, a lion, you need to be the queen of the jungle.

Virgo (August 23 – September 22)

You simply can’t help being judgemental and critical of the people you are interacting with because your main priority is to work hard. Since you spend so much time worrying, you think you might as well make it all worth it by being super critical of yourself and others. You can admit that you even bring up things from the past when you need some confirmation about an unpleasant interaction.

Libra (Septemeber 23 – October 22)

You actually could not make a decision if your life depended on it and you need other people’s approval as much as humans need air. You hate confrontation so much that you tend to just go along with the majority. There are way too many times that you say yes to something when you literally know you should be saying no.

Scorpio (October 23 – November 21)

Forgiveness is just one of those things that doesn’t come easily for you. Not only does your suspicious nature make it easy for people to cross you, you almost never make amends with the people who did you wrong. You’re super protective over the people you care about and you resist change, both of which can make you quite pessimistic.

Sagittarius (November 22 – December 21)

Your mom probably used to tell you that your eyes are bigger than your stomach as you loaded up your dinner plate and ate less than half. And if that never happened to you, I’m sure there has been a time or two when you had big dreams but you fail to plan for the small details and many things just go unfinished. You’re opinionated and blunt however most of the time you find yourself relatively detached.

Capricorn (December 22 – January 19)

You really don’t even understand the idea behind the saying “work hard, play hard”. Your stress level is through the roof because even when you appear to emotionless, your mind is really working double time to figure out all of the possible outcomes of a situation. Your drive will probably take you far in life, but you need to be careful not to become to much of a rigid, workaholic.

Marketing major. Beer enthusiast. Lover of sports, adventures, and movies... but first, coffee.