Spring Semester Kicks Fall Semester’s A$$

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

College breaks, especially winter break, is about 20 times longer than any break you’ve ever had in high school. There are both plusses and minuses to that factor BUT spring semester makes the long winter break away from your amazing college friends worth the wait. Besides the dreaded walks to class in the snow (hey, this could mean snow days), spring semester basically KICKS fall semesters butt in the fun-o-meter. Here are 8 reasons why spring semester is better than fall semester.

1. Even though the snow is falling, the weather improves, it doesn’t get worse.  Most people see the snow and think UGH how much longer can I take of this? But college students, like myself, wake up and pray for a text saying that all classes are cancelled. Thankfully, URI had four snow days last spring semester. My friends and I used that as an excuse to extend syllabus week for an extra 4 days of fun. The snow only lasts for about a month until the weather gets better and you can break out sundresses and enjoy walks to class. Where as it gets cold pretty quick during fall semester.

2. Greek Week. For those of you who DON’T know what Greek week is, it’s the best 7 days for any student apart of URI Greek life. Competitive games, opening day, Greek sing, lip sync, and the constant partying makes for the best week out of the whole semester. What better time to enjoy Greek week than when the suns finally out?

3. Spring break. Okay, so I’ve never actually been on spring break, but from what I see all over social media, it seems to be the highlight of any college students spring semester. Luckily I get to partake in this for the first time this spring break in the Bahamas. Pool days, sun bathing, private islands all day long for 5 days straight? Is that allowed? Sounds like heaven to me.

4. The next break you have to look forward to is SUMMER VACATION. If your favorite season isn’t summer, you need to do some re-thinking. Sunshine and 80 degree weather every day for about 4 months has to be the greatest feeling. Fall semester takes you from weeklong finals into snow while spring semester has you looking forward to 4 months of fun in the sun.

5. You’re already in the “college groove”.  Being a sophomore in college, it was hard to come back in the fall after 4 months of reminiscing on my first year of college. Although it’s a great time in life, it’s also a time of huge change. Being a sophomore means you’re supposed to know what’s up on campus and what’s up with the social scene, but that might not always be the case. Friends change, people change, and being a sophomore with responsibilities like knowing who your friends are can be hard at first during fall semester. When you come back in the spring, you’ve already faced the fall and dealt with change, now you can be ready to KILL it with all the great people you’ve befriended first semester.

6. You’re one step closer to being a college graduate. College is absolutley a great time, but the work can be unbearable. I’ve seen so many charts that say you can choose between three options: school work and sleep, sleep and going out, or going out and school work. Every college student wants two things: to have a social life and to get good grades. But the one thing that is left out is sleep. Sleep is essential to functioning and many times I notice myself forgetting that I have to do it sometime. Finishing spring semester means you’re one step closer to graduating and getting back on a normal life schedule that includes SLEEP as an option.

7. You realize how much you like being at school when you’re at home. Winter break gives you a chance to relax and visit with friends you haven’t seen since you’ve said goodbye in the summer, but it still doesn’t compare to the days at college. Every waking moment at college you’re around other people, meaning more than likely you can NEVER get bored. I have to try to get bored if I wanted to at college. After Christmas ends and the holiday hype is over, I’m ready to get back and spend every day with my best friends. It gives you a chance to decide how you’re going to cherish every second of spring semester to make it that much better.

8. That feeling you get when the weather starts to get better (not worse and snowy). My first second semester of college at URI was one that I will always remember as one of the best. I made the best friends I still have today and went on enjoyable outdoor adventures all because of one thing; the flowers started to bloom and the sun got brighter. When March rolls around and the sun starts feeling warmer and the trees get their leaves back, something just feels so special and right. After all, there IS such a thing as seasonal depression but in the spring that stops. The last day before I was leaving to go home for the summer my friends and I drove to the beach and laid out all day. That day brought me so much happiness and it’s the reason why I can’t wait for spring semester to get going.

Going back to school you might have in mind all of the hard classes and late study nights, but that’s not the entire meaning of a new semester, especially when it’s in the spring. Just after about one month back at school the weather starts to get better, spring break rolls around, and before you know it you’re competing in Greek week with your best friends. These are just a few of the many reasons why spring tops fall in everything when competing for best college semester. 

ALL IN ALL: Spring semester is the bomb

Please write a short bio here! And don't forget to add a photograph!!