Sophomore Soccer Star Nils Leifhelm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Nils Leifhelm of Münster, Germany is a sophomore soccer player at URI who was chosen as one of two captains for the 2015 season.

“I was very proud that coach thinks I have what it takes to lead the team. Especially since I am only a sophomore. But it was not too difficult because I am getting great support by super senior and 3-year captain Mike Casey. I am definitely learning a thing or two about how he leads the team.”

This goalkeeper is a global business major with a 3.6 GPA. He chose to come to the United States of America for education, and URI specifically for the location so close to the ocean.

Leifhelm has been playing soccer for 15 years, and although he is only a sophomore, he has had a very successful soccer career thus far. Winning the under 19 German championship with Schalke 04 in 2012, and winning the regular season last year at URI, as well as making it to the finals of the A10 tournament. Last season he was the Atlantic 10 Rookie of the year, and was named the 2015 Preseason All-American by both TopDrawerSoccer and College Soccer News.

After graduation, Leifhelm’s goal is to play soccer professionally, but is focusing on the rest of his college career for now. As his second season comes to a close, Leifhelm hopes to take it one step further and win the Atlantic 10 Championship this year.

“On our team everybody gets along really well and I think that is one of our biggest strengths.”

The Rams begin their journey in the A-10 tournament on November 12, 2015 at George Mason in Fairfax, Virginia, but you can keep track of the teams performance here.

Good luck, boys and go Rhody!

URI Class of 2016. Health promotion major, Kinesiology minor, from Massachusetts. Sub-par lacrosse player, expert pizza eater. I'm probably obsessed with your dog. Follow me on Instagram: @tamelesss or Twitter: @tameless