This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Everyone has heard time and time again that we are killing the Earth we live on, yet people only seem to care for a short period of time. I know it can be difficult to take a break from your own stresses and troubles to think about the bigger picture, but that needs to change. We need to start thinking about the environment every day, it should become second nature to us so we don’t even have to think about it. Here are some simple switches you can make in your everyday life, even as a college student, to help save our environment.

1. Drink out of cups and tumblers

If you don’t have a tumbler or a reusable water bottle by now, you are really behind in the game. Getting a cute tumbler or water bottle will help encourage you to drink more water, without wasting plastic by grabbing a new plastic water bottle each time.

2. Plastic Forks

When you order take out, don’t take the plastic spoons and forks to go, use your own silverware at home.

3. Paper Plates

Try to cut out using paper plates and use real plates.

4. Metal Straws

Use metal straws in your coffee and smoothies instead of grabbing a plastic straw when you order your drink.

5. Reusable Bags

Bring reusable bags when you go to the grocery store, this will save you from having to take plastic bags. It may even save you some money depending on the store.

Psychology major at URI with a double minor in English and Education. Loves coffee & anything caramel, dancing, music and watching Netflix. Obsessed with all things Disney and spent a semester working at Disney's Animal Kingdom.