This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Our campus celebrity, Gilvydas Biruta, is a senior at URI and #55 on the men’s basketball team. What else? He is internationally known for his impressive academic and athletic careers.

Gilvydas was born and raised in Jonava, Lithuania where his passion for basketball commenced.  “I began playing basketball as early as I could walk,” Biruta said.

Biruta got his big break while playing basketball in high school, playing for high schools in Greece, Sweden, and Spain. After playing in many international locations, he decided to transfer to St. Benedict’s Prep in New Jersey.  

Dan Hurley, the coach of the URI’s men’s basketball team, was previously a coach at Biruta’s high school.

A top high school recruit, Biruta committed to Rutgers University where he played for two years. One of his most memorable achievements at Rutgers was his participation on the 2011 Big East All Rookie Team.

In 2012, Hurley took over the URI basketball program. During this time, Biruta was one of Hurley’s first recruits.  

Biruta commented on the brotherhood he has formed at URI with his teammates; he said playing for URI has been his most rewarding experience compared to the other schools he has played for.  

“I am proud to be part of a team that has brought URI the most victorious season in its history,” Biruta said.

After the URI vs. Nebraska game, students stormed the court after the Rams beat the highly ranked Cornhuskers.  This was one of the most talked about events.  

“That night was one of the first times I truly felt our school pride,” said Biruta.

In addition to being a dedicated athlete, Biruta has managed to maintain a 3.5 GPA, with a double major in public relations and writing & rhetoric. His advice to underclassmen is to get involved and make as many connections as possible.

After graduation, Biruta has plans to write an auto-biography and pursue a job as an athletic director. For right now, he is focusing on enjoying his last few months here at URI.

Come out and support Biruta on Saturday, March 7 where he will be honored at senior night, and play his last home game against St. Joseph’s. Good luck, Gilvydas!

Alexia Williams is a member of the Class of 2017 at the University of Rhode Island. She is a Elementary Education and Sociology double major. She loves to eat, pray,and love!