This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Think about the way you view yourself.

And then think about the way you view other people.

We live in a society where we are constantly surrounded by the internet. This is something we know, and we all try to limit our screen time. But the truth is………

We are all addicted.

And bored lol!

But the point is whether or not you would like to admit it, you conform to society by participating in social media. I am not saying that this is a problem, it’s so much fun to take photos and post and feel good about yourself. But what about when your scrolling through these apps and comparing yourself?

Now that feels sh*tty.

Do you know how many times I’ve deleted the Instagram app because it was consuming the way I viewed myself and my life?

It gives us false expectations of what is beauty is and what we idolize as “the perfect life.” We second guess our lives, always wishing for more instead of enjoying what we already have. 

I can’t speak for everyone, but a majority of people with any form of social media will at some point compare themselves and think, “D*mn I wish that was me.” Ambition is a beautiful thing, but not when you are not striving to become the best version of yourself, but to become someone else.

So, take a step back and start being mindful of your thoughts when scrolling.

And start focusing on yourself and all the beautiful blessings you have in your life.

My name is Deanna and I am a Junior at URI majoring in Textiles, Merchandising, and Design (TMD) with a double minor in business and writing. I am from the Jersey shore and love the beach, drawing, and funny people.