Meet our Writer: Megan Collamati

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Where would HC URI be without our wonderful writers? Meet another on of them today…Megan Collamati! Megan is a junior at URI with double majoring in journalism and sustanability. 

Now, when you hear someone is a journalism major, you probably think they want to go into broadcasting or work for some type of news outlet. This isn’t completely untrue for Megan, but she does have a bit of a different vision for herself. As a lover of the environment (as we all should be), Megan really wants to make a difference in the world. Her ultimate goal? To rid the world of ALL plastic waste.

She describes this goal as “unrealistic,” but hey, this hard working gal can work some major miracles.

While she’s on her way to ridding the world of all that plastic waste, Megan wants to inform people about pollution through her writing. What in the world could be better than using your talents to improve our world? Megan wants to travel to countries that are being impacted the most by climate change, take pictures, and write about what she saw in a magazine.

As for Megan’s bucket list, there’s one thing that stands out for her, and no, it’s not skydiving, or cliff diving, or any other ridiculously dangerous bucket list item that everyone out there has. Megan, being the extremely conscious and thoughtful person that she is, wants to go backpacking around the world doing volunteer work for as many countries as she can. 

Not only is Megan just the kind of person you want to know in life, she is also very grateful for what she has. When asked where she would be if she could be anywhere in the world, she says nowhere…because she LOVES Narragansett so much! Talk about loving your life, right? She also says she definitely wouldn’t be upset if she were in France right now either, though.

Check out Megan’s articles here, and keep your eye out for her on the news, because she’s probably going to save the planet. :)

Hannah is the President and Co-Campus Correspondent of URI's chapter of Her Campus. She will graduate from the University of Rhode Island in 2019 with a BA in Communication Studies and a double minor in Business and Writing/Rhetoric. Hannah grew up in York, Maine and followed her love for the ocean to Rhode Island for her undergraduate degree. You can usually find her at the beach with SPF 75 in hand or trying to master a new yoga pose. Check out her Instagram (hannah.k.will) to keep up!