Meet Our Senior Editor: MeKenzie Mattheson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

MeKenzie Mattheson

Senior Editor, Writer

Say hello to our fabulous Senior Editor and Writer, MeKenzie Mattheson! Besides having the coolest spelling of her name in the world, MeKenzie is an avid feminist and a driven Gender & Women’s Studies and Sociology double major. MeKenzie is a junior at URI and plans to graduate in 2019.

MeKenzie is a New England gal from Jaffrey, NH. When she heads home to visit, she often finds herself at her FAVORITE little restaurant, Tuckerman’s Tavern, located in Northern New Hampshire.

The feminist in MeKenzie is totally “Braless in wonderland.” She lives by the quote “Nevertheless, she persisted.” MeKenzie loves how this quote was directed at Senator Elizabeth Warren with a negative essence, but the feminist community turned it into a phrase that represents the power and perseverance of women. In fact, MeKenzie was so inspired by this quote that she recently got it tattooed on her arm in her mom’s handwriting! 

MeKenzie, one of most driven, loyal, and facetious gals you’ll ever meet, is basically the human version of a kiwi. She says that “kiwis are fuzzy and don’t have to shave”. The Harry Styles fan in her also attributes her love for kiwis to his new song, “Kiwi”, that she likes to secretly jam out to sometimes.

You better catch up with MeKenzie now, because soon enough she’ll be the next Ruth Bader Ginsburg on the Supreme Court of the United States. Ginsburg was named one of the 100 Most Powerful Women (2009) and one of Glamour Magazine’s Women of the Year in 2012. Look out for MeKenzie – Most Powerful Women of 2017 (coming soon to a magazine near you).

Before MeKenzie “glows up” to the Supreme Court, she wants to live out her childhood dream of spending a night in Cinderella’s Castle at Disney World. 

In the meantime, catch MeKenzie on St. Paul Street, Montreal, or maybe chilling with her rowing buddies, or even catching some ZZZ’s in Cinderella’s Castle.

Hannah is the President and Co-Campus Correspondent of URI's chapter of Her Campus. She will graduate from the University of Rhode Island in 2019 with a BA in Communication Studies and a double minor in Business and Writing/Rhetoric. Hannah grew up in York, Maine and followed her love for the ocean to Rhode Island for her undergraduate degree. You can usually find her at the beach with SPF 75 in hand or trying to master a new yoga pose. Check out her Instagram (hannah.k.will) to keep up!