Lizzie Plotkin Brings Love Your Melon Back to URI

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

With more than 100 clubs and organizations here at URI, it is obvious that our students are pretty dedicated to giving back. One of the newest causes that our campus now has the opportunity to support is the incredible apparel company, Love Your Melon! Founded in 2012 by two college sophomores at the University of St. Thomas, LYM has been able to provide over 45,000 hats to children battling cancer in the US.

The process works like this: for every beanie purchased, a member of a local LYM crew gets to surprise one child with their own adorable beanie or hat. Campus crews also get credits added to their acount for every purchase made by their supporters, which can then be used for huge opportunities like hospital visits and so much more. As if all that wasn’t amazing enough, 50% of the proceeds of sales also go directly to the company’s research partners that work hard everyday to find a cure and support the high medical costs associated with such a terrible diagnosis.

Founder of the URI Campus Crew, Lizzie Plotkin, had a lot to say about the amazing initiative that she was able to bring back to Rhody.

“I wanted to be involved in something that went outside the borders of URI-to be involved within the community. I think combining the two provides for a greater audience and spreads awareness past just college students.”

Already this semester, the URI crew has been able to make their first house visit to the adorable Violet Graney (pictured below). Violet and her family were also able to benefit from the amazing support of URI Greek Life during Philanthropy Week last year.

“I hope that down the road, the URI campus crew will be able to visit Hasbro Hospital and even better, I hope we will eventually provide a hot air balloon ride or a helicopter ride! I want to spread the message that Love Your Melon shares across campus and our community because it’s very close to my heart.” 

More About Lizzie… 

Hometown: Saunderstown, RI

Major: Nursing

Hobbies & Passions

“Dancing, Crafting, baking; I have always had a passion to help people!”

Favorite spot on campus 

“Does my bed count? If so, my bed. If not, probably White Hall. I have learned so much there. Not just nursing skills, but how to truly care for people.”

Celeb crush

“Rob Gronkowski”

Dream Job

“My kid dream job was a professional dancer/dance teacher, my now dream job is an Oncological Nurse.”

Words to live by

“My dad always taught me: ‘Actions speak louder than words: say less, do more.’ People will not always remember what you said, but they’ll remember the way you made them feel.”

Favorite college memory

“Freshmen year move in. My random roommate walked in with the same backpack as me, and we clicked right away. She is now my best friend; I can’t imagine my life without her!”

If you had to chose a last meal what would it be

“Chicken, probably. Or pasta. I love guac, too.”

Advice for freshman

“Get involved! Find something you love to do and never stop doing it”

Now stop reading this article and go shop! Rock a dope new beanie this fall and get the chance to truly change a child’s life. And just one more thing, make sure you give our campus’s crew cred by selecting University of Rhode Island at checkout!

Marketing major. Beer enthusiast. Lover of sports, adventures, and movies... but first, coffee.