This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Adapted from the novel Little Women by Louisa May Alcott, the talented Greta Gerwig takes on a new approach to this feminist tale. With an ensemble cast of Saoirse Ronan, Florence Pugh, Emma Watson, Timothee Chalamet, Laura Dern, and Meryl Streep,it’s not surprising they were all giving outstanding performances. The Oscars have recently nominated Saoirse Ronan for Best Actress in a Leading Role and Florence Pugh for Best Supporting Actress. The film is also nominated by the Academy for Best Picture, competing with Ford v Ferrari, The Irishman, Jojo Rabbit, Joke, Marriage Story, 1917, Once Upon A Time…In Hollywood, and Parasite. I predict that Little Women will get the Oscar for Best Costume Design, but I am not as confident in it winning Best Picture since it is competing with several films that are nominated in 10+ categories. I predict that either 1917 or Parasite will take home Best Picture. 

Yorick Le Saux’s cinematography in this film is breathtaking. Based in Concord and actually filmed in Massachusetts, this film offers an authentic gaze into Civil War-era New England. The costuming is also exquisite in this film, being authentic to the time period and accurately reflecting different social classes. Beyond the technical aspects of the film, the heart of this story comes at a great time in history in regards to feminism. Gerwig has tackled feminism in recent works such as Lady Bird and 20th Century Women

Little Women tells the story of a family of four sisters from Concord, Massachusetts that all take different paths in life. The protagonist, writer Jo March, played by Saoirse Ronan, wants to be independent without a husband, asserting that right as a woman to not be viewed as second class to a spouse. Jo’s older sister, Meg, played by Emma Watson, takes a different path and becomes a housewife to a school teacher living in poverty, a sharp contrast to Jo’s life. Their other sister, Amy, played by Florence Pugh, however, takes the route of high society with Meryl Streep, practicing her art and later marrying Timothee Chalamet’s character, Laurie. Without giving too much away, I will not spoil what happens to the fourth sister, Beth, played by Eliza Scanlen. Nonetheless, this story of family deals with other important issues relevant to the time period about the rigid female expectations and issues with social class. The story of Little Women adheres to audiences today, capturing our attention with an anthem of a woman’s independence. I will be watching the Oscars eagerly for Little Women this February 9th. Make sure to tune in with me at 8 pm!

My name is Amanda Precopio, and I am currently a senior Film Media major at the University of Rhode Island. I am one of the Campus Correspondents for URI's HerCampus Chapter!