It’s Way Too Early to Tis the Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Who doesn’t love the holidays? During October, November, and December it seems as if everyone is in good spirits with beaming smiles. Marketers sure know how to capitalize on those smiles by strategically putting out holday themed items way earlier than neccessary. Halloween items were out by the end of August and pumpkin flavored items were everywhere without any formal notice! Now, it’s time for candy canes and Christmas trees. Has anyone even had a slice of Thanksgiving pie yet? Here are 8 reasons why the Holiday hype arrives way too early.

1. Candy

Halloween-themed candy took over all of the CVS’ in the nation but by midnight on the 31st, Christmas-themed treats lined the shelves. This definitely isn’t doing our teeth any favors. But who can say no to all of those delicious cookies?

2. Pumpkin vs. Peppermint

We have waited all year for pumkpin spice to return and now peppermint lattes are here to give them the boot? We haven’t gotten our fill of Pumpkin coffee, muffins, and donuts yet! Patience is a virtue and clearly, peppermint flavored items just don’t get it.

3. Halloween Costumes

Months of planning, creativity, and preparation. All of the time and money spent. And all we get are a few nights out before Halloween is over and we’re expected to break out the jolly holiday cheer. We’re not ready to break out the ugly Christmas sweaters yet, so keep posting those Insta-worthy costume pics on #ThrowbackThursday.

4. Christmas Lights

They are already being hung up…everywhere! If your neighbor is trying to one-up the neighborhood with their light display, it’s now or never. Better break out the lights and start planning…everyone else already is.

5. Shopping

Warm sweaters, cute boots, and adorable hat and scarf sets are ready to be bought. There are sales and discounts galore, but is it not the season of giving? Having to choose between gifts for yourself and gifts for a loved one is defintely not an easy decision to make.

6. Movies

ABC Family aired the 13 Nights of Halloween and it wasn’t nearly enough spooky for us! Now we have to wait over a month for the 25 Days of Christmas; the movie line-up has already been released. What is this madness? Stop teasing us and put the Halloween movies back on to distract us for a little while longer. 

7. Music

Holiday music. Listen to it or don’t. Some people love it, others hate it. Whatever your preference, it is already hitting the radio. It’s just a little too early and there are only so many times we can listen to All I Want For Christmas Is You, no matter how fabulous Mariah Carey is. 

8. Not Enough Pie

Chocolate bars, candy canes, and other sugary treats are great. And for Halloween and Christmas, these candies are all over the place. They are in color-coordinated, endless supply. But where is the pie?? PIE is the real MVP this season! Freshly made, crisp, and warm. Apple, Pumpkin, Cherry, Pecan, and more! Stores should definitely be selling more pie and less candy around this time of year.

While the winter holidays are great, we can all agree that we all just want to enjoy this lovely fall season for a little longer. And we’re still recovering from a wild Halloweekend! But trust us, as soon as we eat our last slice of pie on Thanksgiving, we’ll be breaking out the Christmas decorations and marathoning our holiday favorites all season long!

Alexia Williams is a member of the Class of 2017 at the University of Rhode Island. She is a Elementary Education and Sociology double major. She loves to eat, pray,and love!