This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

As humans, we tend to always try and see the best in people. Someone we are close to does something wrong and we make up a reason as to why they did it. They treat us poorly and we ignore it and move on. They only reach out to us when it benefits them, and we continue to help them. Sometimes, however, we need to realize that it is okay to step away from these kinds of people no matter how long they may have been in our lives. 

It is no surprise that there are negative people in the world, and there are high chances you will come across them. It may take time for you to realize their true colors but as you do, if their qualities aren’t what you expected, and they bring you down more than they lift you up, learn to step away and distance yourself. 

It is okay…

To let go of a friend when their actions do not match up with yours. You do not want to be associated with someone who is doing things that you don’t agree with. 

It is okay…

To distance yourself from people who spend their time judging others. Judging comes from our own insecurities and usually highlights where we feel weakest. We are all guilty of judging, and when it is over excessive and purposely done to hurt someone’s feelings, it isn’t right.  

It is okay…

To back away from a friendship that is only ever one-sided. We deserve to give AND receive. If you find yourself always reaching out to a friend, but never vice versa, consider your friends and ask yourself, “Are they really proving themselves as a friend?”

It is okay…

To separate yourself from people who only reaches out to you when they need something or when it benefits them, but never when they just want to talk or see how you’re doing. We deserve people in our lives who actually show they care about us and don’t only use us when they need something from us.

It is okay to step away from friends who we believe bring negativity into our lives. Sometimes people change after a while and they are not who we originally saw them to be. Don’t be afraid if you decide to cut ties with them. Obviously do it in a nice, non-abrupt way, but don’t feel you need to keep them around if they are putting more negativity into your life than positivity.

Hi! I'm Gabby Curtis and I am currently a freshman at the University of Rhode Island. I am majoring in Communications with a business minor. In my free time I love hanging with friends, staying active, and enjoying a good movie!