alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

The Importance of Self-Care in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

College can be a source of intense stress and anxiety for almost everyone, so it’s important to practice self-care consistently throughout this taxing experience. One rejuvenating way to decompress is to do whatever comes to mind when thinking of feeling physically calm and refreshed. For some people, this means doing a face mask, washing your face, or just exfoliating your skin. For other people, it may mean putting on comfy sweats, doing a full face of makeup, or even lathering your body in your favorite lotion. Whatever it may be, it is important to do what makes you feel good. Even the smallest acts of self-love can give you huge mood-boosts and improve your mental health.

Photo by Melina Nuttall

Another important way to take care of yourself is by exercising and eating healthy foods. However, once again, healthy habits look different for everyone; some people will only feel accomplished after doing intense workouts, but others may find a leisurely walk just as fulfilling. Whatever it may be for you, staying active will be sure to enhance your mood and positively affect you in some way or another. Eating healthy is also very important– whether this means adding a fruit or vegetable a day into your diet, or eating fruits and vegetables with every meal, your body will thank you.

It is also crucial to have a hobby as an outlet to relieve stress. The possibilities for healthy hobbies are nearly infinite, and every person is guaranteed to have at least one if not multiple. Some people will find peace in all of the forms of art that the world has to offer. This could be visual art, like taking photographs, doodling in a notebook, painting a portrait, or even enjoying the artwork created by others. You don’t have to be Picasso or Van Gogh in order to find pleasure in making art. Art can also mean making music, or appreciating music whether you are singing along to your favorite song, or playing “Hot Cross Buns” on the recorder, or composing a symphony. The number of examples of hobbies I could provide would take up an entire article of its own, but some other noteworthy ones could be participating in a sport, cooking, learning a new language, gardening, dancing, knitting, etc.

Photo by Melina Nuttall

Next, meditating and yoga can have a very positive effect on its partakers. Going to classes can be expensive, but YouTube has enough videos to make up for it. There are many free apps as well that can guide participants towards reaching a state of relaxation. It is important to note that these experiences are always different for everyone. Some people will find spiritual enlightenment, some will find a well-needed nap, and some will simply find a little bit less tension in their shoulders than they had before. Everyone is affected in different ways, and it may not even be beneficial to everyone, but there is no harm in trying.

Photo by Melina Nuttall

The number of methods for practicing self-care is infinite, but the bottom line is that it is important to take care of yourself. Whether it be to remedy the stress of school or work, or even just being a teenage person, it’s crucial to throw yourself a little love and care.  

Hi, my name is Melina Marie Nuttall! I am from Massachusetts and I am a Communications major looking to follow a career path in Public Relations.