Ifeanyi Onyekaba – Unsung Talent Basketball

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Born in Abuja, Nigeria, Ifeanyi Onyekaba is a senior at the University of Rhode Island. Onyekaba is a finance major and was recruited for basketball from Virginia Episcopal School in Lynchburg, VA. He has been on the team for four years and has taken his passion for basketball to create something truly great.

He has enjoyed his journey at URI, saying that it has been a great experience where he has been able to meet a lot of wonderful people. His coach, Dan Hurley, has played an integral part in his success at URI. Ifeanyi values the camaraderie and brotherhood of the basketball team and program.

“Everyday that I am able to play, I am thankful. It could all be taken away suddenly, not everyone has had the oppotunities I have had.”

With this in mind, Ifeanyi began the non-profit organziation, Unsung Talent Basketball, just last year.

Nigerian basketball is not recognized or celebrated globally. Talented and hardworking athletes lose opportunities to succeed because they simply do not have the same resources. With his non-profit program, Ifeanyi hopes to give prospective basketball players the chance to better their lives, in hopes of achieving their ultimate success.

Onyekaba contacted the Nigerian Basketball Federation (NBF) last year and proposed a basketball clinic to take place over the summer. The NBF was more than willing to assist him with his endeavor and sent five coaches. Ifeanyi was hoping to serve at least fifty high school students and was instead greeted with over two-hundred fifty! The camp aimed to teach the fundamentals of basketball and provided the students with keepsake jerseys and basketballs.

Through his GoFundMe campagin, Onyekaba was able to generate the money to provide the jerseys and basketballs. He is hoping to raise $50,000 for the upcoming summer with the hopes of redoing the community basketball courts. He also has begun a collection for sneakers to donate to the players. The Rotaract Club assisted Ifeanyi with the collection of over 100  pairs of shoes so far. Help Onyekaba’s endeavor by supporting his non-profit and donating to his GoFundMe!

Alexia Williams is a member of the Class of 2017 at the University of Rhode Island. She is a Elementary Education and Sociology double major. She loves to eat, pray,and love!