Greek Life Shows Philanthropic Pride

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

One of the most rewarding aspects of being a member of the Greek community is watching your organization give back to its university. This past weekend, URI Greek organizations hosted and participated in numerous events to benefit local and national organizations.

The 4th annual “Pound the Pavement” hosted by the south county chapter of Habitat for Humanity took place on snowy Saturday morning. Greek organizations sent members to campus bright and early to be a part of the 5k Race and fundraiser for this amazing group.

(Pictured above: sisters of Zeta Tau Alpha sorority)

Relay for Life also took place on Saturday morning. Relay for Life events are life-changing cancer fundraising events that help communities across the globe fight back against cancer. The URI event was a 12-hour walk at the indoor track on campus. Participants may walk in teams or individually. Each greek life organization was asked to help fundraise and send teams of brothers and sisters to participate in the walk. The total amount of money fundraised is still unknown, but should be posted on Facebook within the next few days.

Kappa Delta sorority hosted their first annual “Shamrock” event, which is an annual fundraiser held by every Kappa Delta chapter to benefit one of their philanthropies, Prevent Child Abuse America. This years event was a 3-on-3 basketball tournament that raised over $25,000 for PCAA. All chapter members volunteered for the event and members of the URI Women’s Basketball team volunteered as referees.

The sorority said 80% of the proceeds will go to the Rhode Island PCAA chapter, and 20% will benefit the national chapter. Each URI sorority sent a team of women to attend the event, and fraternities were represented as well.

(Pictured above: sisters of Kappa Delta sorority)

Alpha Xi Delta sorority hosted their annual “Xi Marks the Spot” scavenger hunt and fundraiser for their philanthropy, Autism Awareness. Greek teams representing all chapters on campus attended the event and raced the clock, and each other, to find clues around campus. At the end of the event, each team returned to the Alpha Xi Delta house to put their clues together as a puzzle.

To close the weekend of philanthropic events, Zeta Tau Alpha sorority held their annual “Think Pink Pasta Dinner”. Tickets were sold for $5 each and all proceeds benefit Breast Cancer Awareness and Education. All members of the URI community were encouraged to attend.

URI Greek chapters are nationally and locally affiliated with organizations that spread awareness, raise funds, and educate about social issues such as autism awareness or the prevention of child abuse in America. This weekend was a clear reminder of all the great work Greek life does for the URI community.

Sabrina is a senior at URI studying public relations. She is originally from MA but has found a home in the Ocean State. A peer mentor, sister of Kappa Delta sorority, and HC Campus Correspondent at URI, she loves being involved on campus. If she could describe herself in a few words, she would say she's a driven individual with a huge heart who's obsessed with all things fashion, music, and adventurous.