Future Psychologist Shows Passion for Theatre

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

This week’s Campus Celebrity has a passion for performing on stage She’s extremely talented and ambitious. URI, meet Devin Vietri! She is a senior psychology and theatre double-major from Jamestown, Rhode Island. You may recognize her from previous URI Theatre productions, like when she played Babe Botrelle in Crimes of the Heart last February.

Vietri is currently rehearsing for the upcoming URI Theatre production of All My Sons, an award winning and inspiring true story by playwright Arthur Miller. She will be starring as Ann Deever in the play which is set in a Midwestern community soon after World War II.

“Ann is a protector, she loves unconditionally and what she wants more than anything is to have a family,” said Vietri.

Vietri has been active in the theatre program for many years. Along with performing on stage, she has a lot of experience working behind the scenes. In 2013, she was able to use her dancing skills to choreograph the cheers and dances in the play Be Aggressive.

“I have danced since I was 2 years old, so it was really fun to get to use resurface some skills I hadn’t been in touch with in a few years,” said Vietri. She also had the opportunity to work as the assistant stage manager for the musical Chicago last April.

After graduation, Vietri hopes to attend graduate school to study drama therapy. “This is a form of expressive arts therapy. Expressive arts therapy uses forms of art such as music, dance, drawing, and for me, theatre, to promote mental health and encourage personal growth,” she said. “I also plan to keep auditioning for different parts and hopefully keep acting!”

We hope you do too, Devin!

All My Sons will be presented in the Robert E. Wills Theatre in URI’s Fine Arts Center on February 19-21 & 26-28 at 7:30pm and February 22 & March 1 at 3:00pm. You can also catch her in April in the Shakespeare comedy, As You Like It, where she will be playing the role of Celia! Click here for information on tickets for All My Sons and As You Like It.

Jess Schwartz is a freshman Communication Studies and Theatre (Acting) double-major at URI. She's a sister of Kappa Delta sorority and the Social Media Coordinator of hungryrhody.com. 
Sabrina is a senior at URI studying public relations. She is originally from MA but has found a home in the Ocean State. A peer mentor, sister of Kappa Delta sorority, and HC Campus Correspondent at URI, she loves being involved on campus. If she could describe herself in a few words, she would say she's a driven individual with a huge heart who's obsessed with all things fashion, music, and adventurous.