This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

One of the greatest lessons that I have learned to embrace is the wonder that comes with being, quite frankly, awful. I find it so easy to become absorbed in a culture that is defined by a general idea of success. If you are not the best, you are not good enough. Wrong! This notion is often a big factor in determining how people spend their time, and admittedly, I have been a victim to fearing the art of trying something new. Consider all of the times you refused to try something new because of the worry that you would embarrass yourself. Now imagine all of the experiences you would have if you chose to say yes instead of no. Capture the thoughts this brings you, and use them to fuel you next time you doubt yourself. Quite honestly, sticking to what you are good at is terribly uninteresting, and horrid to an adventurous spirit. 

Here are a few tips I have used to embrace the wins and the inevitable fails that come with branching out into bravery of trying new things. 

Grab a friend you trust.

Often times, all it takes to step up to a new experience is having someone by your side. Maybe this person is someone who can help you learn, or is willing to go through the learning process with you.

Take some deep breaths when things get frustrating.

Giving up sometimes seems like the easiest option, but in the end, determination is a win by itself. When I am feeling defeated, whether with a new sport, class, or place, I take a second to remember to breathe, gather my thoughts, and keep going to get the result that could be in the form of a win, an A, or getting to experience somewhere new.

Laugh it off!

Sometimes the only thing that keeps me from giving up when things get rough is my ability to laugh at myself. When snowboarding for the first time, I could barely make it down the bunny slope, but it was one of the best experiences I have ever had because I was giggling the entire time. I certainly won’t be doing any flips on my snowboard any time soon, but I know now that there was no reason to fear it. 

My words of advice are to get out and see the world, and do not be afraid of failing because with failure comes the freedom to learn and grow!

Hi! My name is Alyssa Houlis, and I am a senior English major with a business minor. I have enjoyed my studies at URI for all of the opportunities I get to write and explore the lovely language that is English. I am excited to see what opportunities will present themselves once I graduate from lil' Rhody! In my free time, you will probably catch me hugging a tree, painting, or skating!