The Five Types of Basketball Spectators

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Everyone knows that basketball games can bring out the best, and the worst in their fans. It doesn’t matter if it’s for fourth-grade or college, basketball gets people pumped no matter what the occasion is. Fans are the supporting base of every team and always keep people guessing about what they’re going to come up with next. From screaming at the top of their lungs to making the whole court shake, all fans truly are the best!

Beyond Hyped

Everyone knows this type of fan. They’re decked out in their team’s gear from head to toe and are ready for anything. These are the guys behind you shaking the railings and pumping their fists in the air. This type of fan can’t, and won’t stay in their seat the entire game. Their infinite team pride and enthusiasm are always appreciated by the players and charge up the entire stadium. No basketball team would be complete without these off the court cheerleaders!

The Screamers 

These are the fans you hope not to sit in front of. Although their excitement and outrage are appreciated, the fans around them might not feel the same way. The screamers easily make their presence known at every game and won’t back down to anyone. Although they might not be the favorite type of fan in the crowd, they keep things loud, and they keep things interesting!

The Dads 

No basketball game is complete without the dads. They’re red in the face from their righteous outrage from a ref’s bad call and can’t help but flip out when their team doesn’t get the rebound. The dad is a classic kind of spectator that passes the excitement of basketball down to the next generation. Dads keep America’s love of basketball alive and spread it as much as they can.

The Early Leavers

These are the fans that pay to go to the game but just can’t stay for the last three minutes to see how the game ends. Beating traffic is more important to them than watching their team win a massive victory or lose by just a couple of points. However, they do cheer on their team as best they can while they’re there, but they just have to look up the win after to make sure their team won!

The Forced To Go 

Anyone can spot out the spectator that was clearly forced to go to the game by friends or family. They’re not wearing any team jerseys or team colors, and look hopelessly bored. These are the people on their phones the whole game, firmly planted in their seats wishing for the time to go by faster. The people who forced them to go trying to get them excited and involved, hopefully, they’ll succeed one day! 

No matter what kind of fan you are it is nice to get together and watch a game with a huge, pumped up crowd every once and a while. Even if the traffic is bad getting out. 

Miranda

URI '23

Hey, I’m Miranda and I’m a freshman at URI! I’m majoring in Communicative Disorders and am interested in specializing in audiology.