Five Reasons Why You Should Listen to Brent Faiyaz

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

With the release of his E.P “F*** the World Last Friday”, 24-year-old R&B singer and Maryland native, Brent Faiyaz, has been all over everyone’s social media. His Frank Ocean-Esque, sultry tunes, and lyrics that are soft yet tinted with toxicity are what draws the listener in, and makes it hard for them to tune out. If you love raw emotion and angsty R&B, Brent’s music is the way to go. 

Euphoria Zendaya Dancing
Giphy

Here are five reasons why you should listen to him… 

1. Aside from the work he does as a solo artist, he’s also a part of a group called Sonder where he is the lead singer, which basically means you get twice the music, am I right? 

2. He’s an “underground artist”. More specifically speaking, he’s an artist that works independently, and he is not signed to any major label. Although, with the success of the 2016 hit “Crew”, (which he was featured on alongside rappers Goldlink and Shyglizzy) major labels contacted him about signing on, and he declined at the advisory of his manager. I think when artists are signed to major labels there’s too much control over their voice and not enough say from the artists themselves. Being independent means that Brent has more control over where his money is going/coming from, as well as his personal image. 

3. He’s a bit of a fashion icon. 

4. He’s beautiful. Like, really beautiful. 

5. Because his lyrics, falsetto voice, and somber beats make you crave the love you never had and/or poetically resent that one ex you wish you could forget.

She\'s The Man gif
Giphy

Journalism major. Its’s ya girl! Xoxo, Seeonbothsidez