burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A First-Timer’s Guide To Music Festivals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Summer 2018 is going to be an insane year for music and you don’t want to miss out. I am currently mentally preparing for my first music festival experience which is in less than three months. These feelings of excitement and anxiousness are ones that everyone should have the chance to experience!

There is a significant difference between concerts and festivals, from the amount of artists, the atmosphere, and the absurd amount of flower crowns.

With preparation comes the need to find inspiration for your outfits, something that just about every girl struggles with. You will find yourself having the “I want to be super trendy hip-hop chic without wearing a flower crown but part of me really wants to wear a flower crown” conversation with…yourself.

Here are a few tips on how to embody the ultimate festival attire for your destination (without flower crowns).

Sneakers are not a crime – they are your best friend when it comes to dealing with the hype of thousands of people, especially since sitting is just not an option. You will come back to this post and thank me later, as I am a 5’ 2” advocate for sturdy ground. I have first-hand experiences with being pushed and shoved at concerts and feeling as though my feet needed medical attention, all thanks to my poor choice in footwear.

Before you head to the venue, leave the heels on Instagram, and make sure you pack those tennis shoes. Sneakers can transform a look the same way heels can – in fact, you’ll find it will more easily help show off your true style for what’s appropriate and safe for any type of festival.

Search for your favorite color in classic brands such as Nike, Adidas, Vans or Converse. These lifestyle types of shoes can easily be paired with fashionable denim, your favorite crop tops and a summer dress with your signature ‘sunnies.’ You will be guaranteed to worry less and enjoy the concert a lot more with your FLAT, yet stylish, new kicks.

Two words. Fanny packs. I know. They’re not used in my everyday vocabulary either, but when it comes to minimalist festival wear, they’re a key asset. Most music festivals will not permit bags any bigger than this size, and they are perfect for the essentials without the bulk. In this day in age, the search results are endless for “hip” fanny pack designs that are sure to match any style.

“Waist bags” as they are now called today, are virtually everywhere – ranging from efficient retailers such as Amazon to stylish brand names including Nordstrom & Adidas. I personally can’t wait to rock one in Miami, so don’t hesitate to join me and rock one too.

Festival essentials can vary based on the location and what the event permits, but generally you can never go wrong with these. Here are a few things you should consider putting in that fanny pack: sunscreen, cash, wipes/hand sanitizer, ChapStick, a portable phone charger and deodorant. These are just a few of the nonnegotiable items that will make for a worry-free and reassuring experience, so check ‘em off your list now. You’ll instantly be the mom of the group, but your friends will be grateful too.

Oh and just pack that flower crown in the bottom of your luggage anyway – you’ll need it for the ‘gram’ eventually.

Here are some of the exciting, major music festivals that are happening this year:

Ultra Music Festival Where: Miami, FL When: March 23, 2018 – March 25, 2018 Headliners: Afrojack, David Guetta, DJ Snake, Marshmello

Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival Where: Indio, CA When: April 13, 2018 – April 22, 2018 Headliners: The Weeknd, Beyoncé, Eminem (featured artists: SZA, Kygo, Tyler the Creator, Post Malone, Vince Staples, Miguel, ODEZSA)

Rolling Loud Where: Miami Gardens, FL When: May 11, 2018 – May 13, 2018 Headliners: J. Cole, Travis Scott, Future (featured artists: Lil Uzi Vert, Young Thug, Tory Lanez, Migos, Wiz Khalifa, Cardi B, Lil Wayne, 21 Savage)

Governors Ball Where: New York City, NY When: June 1, 2018 – June 3, 2018 Headliners: Jack White, Travis Scott, Eminem (featured artists: Halsey, 2 Chainz, Russ, Khalid, Vic Mensa, Lil Uzi Vert, James Blake)

Firefly Music Festival Where: Dover, DE When: June 14, 2018 – June 17, 2018 Headliners: Eminem, Kendrick Lamar, Arctic Monkeys, The Killers (featured artists: Lil Wayne, Logic, Alt-J, Foster The People, MGMT, Vance Joy)

Lollapalooza Where: Chicago, IL When: August 2, 2018 – August 5, 2018 Headliners: TBA

Electric Zoo Where: New York City, NY When: August 31, 2018 – September 2, 2018 Headliners: TBA