Everything I Needed to Know I Learned from Sex and the City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

It seems that no matter how many times I watch an episode, regardless of where I am in my life, I can always learn something new from Sex and the City. After countless hours spent deciding whether I’m a Carrie or a Charlotte and if my life will ever be as fabulous, I’ve come to realize that SATC is basically just a playbook for life.

Seventeen years ago, the world finally got a little taste of the fantasy life of a few female New Yorkers. And maybe I’m just being biased because I consider the complete collection a religious text, but there are seriously some worthy lessons to be learned from the most fabulous ladies on television.

Your friends are everything.

“They say nothing lasts forever; dreams change, trends come and go, but friendships never go out of style”

Looks really aren’t the most important thing.

Sexy is what I try to get them to see me as after I win them over with my personality”

Break-ups are hard but we can always bounce back.

Maybe you’re only allotted a certain amount of tears per man and I’ve used mine up”

It’s important to live while your young.

Maybe some women aren’t meant to be tamed. Maybe they just need to run free until they find someone just as wild to run with them.”

The key to looking good is feeling good.

“You shouldn’t have to sacrifice who you are just because somebody else has a problem with it.”

Putting yourself and your own needs first doesn’t make you a horrible person.

“But the most exciting, challenging and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself. And if you can find someone to love the you that you love, well, that’s just fabulous.”

There will be misjudgments and mistakes but we should never blame ourselves.

“Maybe mistakes are what make our fate… without them what would shape our lives?”

Family can be the best therapy, even if it’s the family you make along the way.

“The most important thing in life is your family. There are days you love them, and others you don’t. But, in the end, they’re the people you always come home to.”

It’s okay to take things slow.

“I revealed too much too soon. I was emotionally slutty.”

We must learn to embrace our flaws.

“I will never be the woman with the perfect hair, who can wear white and not spill on it”

Be able to laugh at yourself at least once a day.

“The universe may not always play fair, but at least it’s got a hell of a sense of humor”

Spend the money you work hard to earn.

“I like my money where I can see it- hanging in my closet”

Let go of the things in life that drag you down, even when it seems too hard.

Maybe the past is like an anchor holding us back. Maybe, you have to let go of who you were to become who you will be.”

It’s okay to have a plan but it’s even better to live spontaneously.

“Sometimes we need to stop analyzing the past, stop planning the future, stop figuring out precisely how we feel, stop deciding exactly what we want, and just see what happens”

Marketing major. Beer enthusiast. Lover of sports, adventures, and movies... but first, coffee.