Dunkin’s New Peppermint Mocha is Incredible

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

I have written many articles about coffee at this point. It should be somewhat obvious to everyone that this is, indeed, my drink of choice. I usually have one in my hand, be it iced or hot, at any given time of the day and I crave it constantly. However, not all coffee is created equal. Be it because of their flavor, quality, or cute cup, certain coffees are certainly preferred. 

Enter Dunkin’s Peppermint Mocha flavor. The last time this was around was Winter 2017, and I have to admit that I mostly missed it then. Maybe I was too busy paying attention to other new flavors or maybe I was drinking more Starbucks. Whatever the case, I was seriously missing out. I have always loved chocolate and mint as a combination; mint chip ice cream and York Peppermint Patties being two of my absolute favorite treats, so I do not know why I didn’t pay better attention to the Peppermint Mocha flavor and all it has to offer. I am just glad I know now, and you should know, too. 

In the past, I have had problems with Dunkin’s flavors because they either seemed kitschy, overly-sweet, or both. Although, the Peppermint Mocha flavor at Dunkin’ is none of those things. It is all the decadence of a Mocha with none of the heaviness. It is all the refreshingness of Mint with none of the sting. It is glorious. 

It is truly the best swirl I have ever tried, even in comparison to the almighty Pumpkin’. I have only tried it in hot and iced coffees, but I suspect that the flavor’s presence in an espresso drink or cold brew would be equally good.  I have had at least two a week since it came out, and I am eager to see how it measures up in drinks like lattes. I cannot stop talking about it to the point of my friends being irritated with me, but I have turned multiple friends and family members onto it in my insistent obsession and love for the icy-sweet beverage. One of my best friends even saw it on a billboard and told me he thought of me. It is who I am now. 

I hope it stays on the menu forever, I wonder how the Dunkin’ swirls started, but they all started out as one flavor at one specific point? I hope this continues with my beloved Peppermint Mocha, which you have to taste. Immediately. 

My name is Julia Unger. I am a senior English & Writing/Rhetoric major with a Gender & Women's Studies minor. In my spare time, I enjoy watching Netflix, buying Bath & Body Works Candles, and eating dark chocolate.