The Do’s and Don’ts of Visiting Your BFF at College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Visiting your BFF at school is sometimes essential to getting through the semester. You have #fomo everytime you see her post a picture with her new friends, and you’ve had withdrawals since the minute you two went your separate ways in the summer to go back to school. It’s finally time to go visit, so follow this guide of do’s and don’ts in order to have the best time possible! 

DO: Have her walk around with you at the dining hall.

Trust me, people know you don’t belong the minute you ask someone where you can find a fork.

DON’T: Get so drunk you throw up.

We all want to go a little crazy when visiting a new school, but we do not want to make a bad first impression. It is safe to say her friends will not want you to come back if this happens. 

DO: Respect her schedule and understand if she has prior commitments.

As much as we want to think we’ll be able to spend the entire weekend partying and having fun, don’t get offended if she wants to take a few hours out of Saturday afternoon to get some homework done.

DON’T: Be a slob.

Try and keep your stuff all together in one spot. People get stressed when there is crap everywhere, especially when it’s not their own.  Plus, this will save you time when it is time to leave, and you don’t have to look around the whole room to find your shirt. 

DO: Get to know her friends.

These are the people your BFF spends most months out of the year with. You should really want them to like you.

DON’T: Get involved in drama.

If your BFF is caught up in a little friend group drama, stay out of it. Obviously you want to take your friend’s side, but the drama will pass for them eventually and you’ll still be seen as the one who got involved unnecessarily.

DO: Bring enough money.

You shouldn’t be spending too much money when visiting a friend, but it may be a bar school or you’re going to want to get some late night pizza. Worst case scenario: you have some leftover cash and can buy yourself a t-shirt from the bookstore!

DON’T: Forget to say thank you.

Thank your friend and her friends 1 million times if that’s what it takes to get your point across. Hosting a friend for the weekend is a tough job, so show her you had a great time by thanking her once more before you leave.