Ditch and Switch: Your Guide to Business Attire

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

As college women, we are at that age where we need to start looking more professional, and less like we just came out of high school. It can be tough knowing which clothing, accessories, and shoes are acceptable business attire and which aren’t. Here is your guide to which things you should ditch, and what you should switch to.

1. Ditch: Cardigans.

Switch to: Blazers

For a while we found it fancier to where a cardigan as opposed to a sweatshirt. In the real world, a cardigan just isn’t going to cut it. It’s time to shop for some cute blazers like this one:

2. Ditch: Pumps

Switch to: Kitten heels

Say good-bye to stilettos and platform pumps, and say hello to a cute pear of kitten heels.

3. Ditch: Camisoles

Switch to: Button downs

What’s underneath is just as important as what’s on the outside. This is not only a life motto, but it is true for business attire. Cami’s are no longer acceptable now that you’ve switched to blazors. Try a nice white button down like this: 

4. Ditch: Sandals

Switch to: Flats

While strappy sandals or cute flip flops could match with your busniess attire, they’re not going to do it in the professional world. You’re going to have to switch to a cute pair of flats.

5. Ditch: Your LBD

Switch to: Knee-length dress 6. Ditch: Jeans

Switch to: Dress pants

Most women dred wearing dress pants because of how similar they look to men’s pants. But when paired with the right tops, shoes and accessories, dress pants could become your new favorite bottom!

7. Ditch: Bangles

Switch to: Watches

When it comes to jewelry, watches are a much better choice then multiple bracelets like bangles. Try to stick to metal, stainless steel watches as opposed to ones with leather or clothe bands.

8. Ditch: Visible body jewelry

Switch to: Simple earrings or necklace

In the professional world it’s best that body jewelry should be removed or covered. Make sure that whatever jewelry you do wear is simple and not too flashy. Stay away from hoops and dangly earrings. Stick to simple studs and gold or silver necklaces.

9. Ditch: Printed or fringed purses

Switch to: Simple brown and black leather bags

Patterned and fringed bags can look somewhat trashy and unprofessional. Ditch the cheetah print and stick to plain brown or black leather bags. 

10. Ditch: Smokey eye

Switch to: Natural make-up

When it comes to makeup, forget the complicated smokey-eye and stick to natural make-up. Lay off the dark eye shadow and remember: Less is more.

I'm a sophomore business major at URI. I'm from River Edge, New Jersey. I find joy in surrounding myself with my favorite people and making the best out of every situation. But i also find joy in eating food and laying in my bed.