timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Dear Bff Who Doesn’t Go to the Same College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

High School was a rough time, as it is for most people. I look back and I wish I didn’t take for granted the fact I saw you every single day. Every morning I’d wake up extra early, hop in the car with my dad and my little brother and head on over and pick you up. We’d play 5 Seconds of Summer on the way to school and gossip about everything. If I ever needed advil or tampons, you were always ready and prepared when I came to pick you up. When the bell would ring at the end of the day, we’d meet at our lockers (which were right next to each other for all of high school) and we’d be on our way.

Every single year since sixth grade, we have had a class together. That is until college started. It’s now my second year away from you and I still miss you as much as I did when I started college last year, maybe even more. I know I get to see you maybe once a month but I miss the days I would see you every single day. I even miss our stupid arguments about dumb things. I miss the moments, good and bad. 

I’m sorry for the moments I didn’t treat you like my best friend. I know I made mistakes along the way that hurt you and I want to reassure you that those words have been said, but there is no power to them anymore. I only see love and strength when I look at you. You have become a hardworking woman who I aspire to be like.

As days drag on here, I can’t help but think of wanting you with me. I’ll be sitting in a class that’s annoying me and I know it would annoy you too. I just wish you were there rolling your eyes with me. I wish you were sitting with me in the dining hall, laughing and sharing food together. I’m blessed enough that you aren’t too far, but we’re both so busy with our work and if we were together, we’d distract the hell out of each other. But that’s the fun part.

One memory that sticks out to me is a memory that created our relationship and it says levels about us. It was sixth grade and we were in gym class. It was one of your first day at my elementary school because you started later than the rest of us. I was being bullied by my childhood bully and you stepped in and shut it down. That began a beautiful, hysterical, emotional and sacred bond.

Of course, there have been days where we are beyond annoyed with each other but I would take having those days than not seeing you for weeks at a time. I miss you Sydney, and I can’t wait to see you soon. Sisters forever.

Brooke Conneally is a sophomore at the University of Rhode Island, majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Communications. She spends most of her time playing guitar while singing, pinning projects on Pinterest, cuddling with her cats, and organizing her room.