Campus Celebrities: The Brilliant Faces Behind Humans of URI

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Everyone has heard of the famous Instagram and Facebook pages “Humans of New York” that now has its own book. These pages feature amazing stories about the people of New York that captivate millions of people’s attenion. Well guess what? We now have our own “Humans of URI” pages thanks to the brilliant and innovative students Steven Leone and Emma Lamy. Make sure to check out their Instagram and Facebook pages to learn about some of the most interesting people that happen to be our very own classmates!  

Steven Leone 

Age: 19

Hometown: Danbury, CT

Major: Marketing

Emma Lamy

Age: 19

Hometown: Loudonville, NY

Major: Geological Oceanography 

1. What inspired you to create Humans of URI?

Both: Humans of NY has always been an inspiration of ours, and we asked each other, “why not here?”

Emma: I then contacted Steven, and asked if he wanted to join me in creating Humans of URI.

2. What’s it like balancing your Humans of URI pages and school?

Both: It’s extremely difficult. We’ve found ways to work around our schedules to find time to meet up and conduct interviews. It’s never been too overwhelming, and has always proved to be worthwhile.

3. Are you guys involved in any other extracurricular activities at URI?

Emma: I’m a member of Kappa Delta & URI Photography Club

Steven: I’m a member of S.O.L.C, THRIVE URI, the Leadership Program, and the Honors Program.

4. Favorite movie?

Emma: National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation, You’ve Got Mail and Bridget Jones’s Diary

Steven: Short Term 12 & I Origins.

5. What are your biggest fears?

Emma: Spiders and snakes 

Steven: Being inadequate

6. What is your favorite thing about URI?  

Emma: Mostly what I do with Humans of URI because it has opened me up to so much at the university and I have met so many amazing people because of it. I also love the change of scenery here. I’m from the mountains so living by the beach is really cool.

Steven: My wonderful friends, who have become a small family to me. I also really enjoy being in an environment with other likeminded people who enjoy learning like I do. Humans of URI helps portray these people and I enjoy that immensely.

7. Who were your favorite “Humans of URI” interviews?

Emma: Patrick Guthlein

Steven: Sydney Wall