alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Beyond the Straws: How to Incorporate Conscious-Minded Sustainability Into Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

In recent trends, the initial reaction to living more sustainably usually entails boycotting plastic straws and using reusable bags. Although these are practical means, there is more we can do. I am not saying everyone should stop driving their car, or install solar panels on the roofs of their houses, but there are small individual acts that we can change in our daily routine. These small decisions we make will impact the longevity of our precious environment. 

Two major components of why it is difficult for people to live a more sustainable lifestyle is due to affordability and accessibility. We are people of routine and of a budget. We aren’t going to overextend ourselves or disrupt what needs to be done. Instead, we should embrace a sustainably-conscious mindset to improve how we live and how to treat the environment around us.

In the last year, I have practiced conscious sustainability. As a coffee addict, going to coffeeshops is a significant part of my routine. To eliminate waste, I will only allow myself to buy a coffee if I remember to bring my reusable container. With my container, I have a stainless steel straw as well. I have developed an aversion to plastic cups, and I will not allow myself to purchase a drink unless I have these materials. If I am shopping for groceries or at any retail store, I will always refuse to take a plastic bag out of the store. If I forgot my reusable bags, that’s on me, guess I’m not getting groceries that day. 

As long as there is a receipt, a store does not need you to take a bag to prove a transaction took place. You could also ask for your receipt to be texted or emailed to you in order to save paper. Not only is this better for the environment, but it’s more financially functional. Instead of stuffing a six-foot-long piece of paper in your purse that you’ll eventually throw away, an emailed receipt is an easy record of the money you spent, and you won’t end up in the trash. 

For food storage, always have reusable containers on hand in a variety of sizes. Containers can be used interchangeably to store in the fridge or carry lunch during the day. I avoid using saran wrap, opting to use beeswax instead. Beeswax is an all-natural product that effectively preserves produce.

When cleaning, designate rags for polishing or sanitizing certain parts of your home. Opt-out of relying on paper towels, and use cloth that can be easily washed later. Even for brushing your teeth, there is a wide arrange of bamboo and other-material toothbrushes for purchase online or in-store. Our normal plastic toothbrushes have tiny, micro pieces of plastic in the bristles that end up going into our water, and eventually the ocean. As for shampoo and conditioner, there is an array of brands that offer bars instead of bottled products. 

If you are not at home, remember you can still keep this conscious mindset. Avoid using plastic to-go cutlery or using a mini plastic cup at a water dispenser. Be prepared, and keep a kit of reusables in your car of everything you need. Do not be discouraged if you forget to be mindful along the way. Soon, these small and positive changes will allow us to eliminate more environmental issues than we ever thought possible.

My name is Clara Crawford. I am a senior studying public relations and business at the University of Rhode Island. In my free time I like read, paint, and go on adventures to farmers markets with my friends.