Best Weekend Getaway Destinations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

It’s a normal Wednesday night, you are so close to the weekend and are constantly thinking about what you will be doing! Not much going on in Rhody for the weekend? That’s totally fine, because we are in New England which means there are so many other places with fun things to do. Call up your girlfriends, and make a day trip out of it, I promise you, it’ll be a weekend you will always look back on. It’s always good to get away for a few days and just have some fun without worrying about tests, projects, presentations, etc. You have put in hours of hard work this semester, so treat yourself!

1. Boston, Massachusetts

Boston is such a fun and lively city! There is always something fun to do, whether it’s a day of shopping on Newbury Street, or a fun concert happening, you will be sure to find something. A brunch girl at heart? Head into the city early Saturday morning and find a trendy spot for a good brunch! A fan of a good IPA? Gather up your girls’ and take a tour of Harpoon Brewery!

2. Portland, Maine

Although I have never been to Portland, I have heard amazing things about it! It is definitely on the top of my list for a weekend getaway. There is so much to do from day to night. Did someone say free beer? You can actually get a free flight of beer at Allagash Brewery! I’ll be heading there soon, that’s for sure. Grab a slice of pizza at Otto’s, or if you are a Thai/Vietnamese food fan, there are a ton of options in Portland for you! Sitting right on the ocean, you will still get that Rhody feel, however, if you drive about 30 minutes outside of Portland, you will hit mountains that you can hike to burn all of that good beer/food off at. 

3. Mystic Seaport, Connecticut

This quaint village in Connecticut is the perfect place for a day trip! Less than an hour away from Rhody, this trip is perfect for a group who doesn’t have enough time to get to any other destination, but wants to get away! There are cute places to grab a bite to eat, and then of course you have to head to the Mystic Aquarium. People travel from all over the country just to go to this museum, so take advantage of being this close! 

Next time you feel like you need to get away for a few days, give one of these places a shot! This weekend happens to be a long weekend… if you don’t have plans, call your girlfriend’s up and start planning your trip!

Senior at URI with a major in Journalism and a minor in Public Relations. Shannon studied abroad in the fall of 2016 in London, UK. While in London, Shannon interned at Time and Leisure Magazine where she wrote and edited for the publication.