The Best Places on Campus to Spend Your Gaps Between Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

While we would all love to have that perfect class schedule, things don’t always go according to plan when classes fill up or aren’t offered at convenient times. Many times our schedules leave us with unstructured periods of time between classes. If your dorm is far from your classes or if you live off campus, it can be difficult to find places to spend these gaps during the day. Here are a couple suggestions of the best places at URI to spend your time between classes.

Photo By Tirachard Kumtanom-Pexels

1. The Memorial Union

The union is often used for club meetings and events but also provides a lot of good spaces to study or hangout with friends. There are comfortable chairs to relax, places to grab food and coffee, tables to study at and charging stations for your phone. If you don’t have work to do or need a break, there’s always plenty of activities going on as well. Many clubs host events and fundraisers in the front hall and there are pool tables downstairs to help pass the time. 

Photo By Mateusz Dach-Pexels

2. The Quad

There’s nothing better than sitting on the quad when the weather is nice. There’s plenty of space to stretch out or even set up a hammock between the trees. It’s a good place to get some light homework done or catch up with friends as long as the rain holds off!

3. CBLS

If you don’t feel like going too far from your classrooms, the Center for Biotechnology and Life Sciences can be a great place to hangout. There are tables, couches and chairs throughout the building which make great places to get a little extra studying done in your free time. In addition, the Dunkin’ Donuts downstairs can give you the extra boost you need to get through your afternoon lectures.

Photo By Abby Chung-Pexels

4. The Library

The library is probably the most common place for students to hangout in-between classes. If you need to collaborate on a project, the first floor has great open study spaces. But if you need a quieter environment, the private study rooms are another great option. 

Photo By Leah Kelley-Pexels

5. Rhody Market

Even if you don’t have a meal plan that includes combo swipes, Rhody Market can still be a great place to chat with friends or send a few emails between classes. The food and coffee are a bonus to a great space.

Biological Sciences major at the University of Rhode Island. In my free time you can find me dancing, watching football, or cooking vegetarian meals!