This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Looking for a good movie to watch? Here are some of my favorite 80’s films that are worth the watch!

The Breakfast Club (1985)

This film, directed by John Hughes, explores themes about high school stereotypes during a Saturday in detention. This film features an ensemble cast of Judd Nelson, Molly Ringwald, Ally Sheedy, Emilio Esteves, Anthony Michael Hall, and Paul Gleason.

Back to the Future (1985)

This film directed by Robert Zemeckis stars Michael J. Fox as Marty McFly as he navigates the past while trying not to alter past events that will affect his life and his family’s. 

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986)

Matthew Boderick stars as Ferris Bueller in this teen drama where he skips school one day to have a variety of adventures with his friends, Cameron and Sloane while trying not to get caught by his parents or school principal, Mr. Rooney. 

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)

A teen drama centered around high school students as they navigate the school year juggling school with love, sex, and partying starring Sean Penn, Judge Reinhold, and Jennifer Jason Leigh. 

Heathers (1988)

This film stars Winona Ryder, apart of the most popular, but cruel clique in high school called “The Heathers”. This film explores the topics of suicide and homicide. 

Pretty in Pink (1986)

Molly Ringwald stars in this drama as an outcast in high school that is crushing on one of the rich and popular kids at school played by Andrew McCarthy. When he asks her out, she begins to realize the difficulties in dating someone in the opposite class.

Dirty Dancing (1987)

This romance stars Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey falling for each other at a resort in the Catskills during the summer of 1963. Swayze works at the resort as a dance instructor while Grey vacations with her family, and must learn how to dance from Swayze when his dance partner falls ill. 

The Shining (1980)

Based on the story by Stephen King and starring Jack Nicholson, Jack Torrance and his family move into the Overlook Hotel in Colorado during the winter to become the caretaker. Battling severe isolation and hallucinations, Jack will turn on his family and learn about the hotel’s dark secrets in this haunting film. Be sure to check out the “Doctor Sleep” Stephen King’s sequel to “The Shining”! 

Stand by Me (1986)

Directed by Rob Reiner and another story by Stephen King, this film features an ensemble cast of young Wil Wheaton, River Phoenix, Corey Feldman, and Jerry O’Connell as they take a journey to see a dead body after an accident near their homes in Oregon. On this journey, the boys will learn more about each other, and the adventure will become a defining moment in their lives.

Die Hard (1988)

This series of action films starring Bruce Willis as New York City policeman John McClane battling terrorists is a classic and recommended series in the mystery/thriller genre. 

Have you seen all of these movies already? Or are there a couple you’re dying to watch? Get on it girl!

My name is Amanda Precopio, and I am currently a senior Film Media major at the University of Rhode Island. I am one of the Campus Correspondents for URI's HerCampus Chapter!